Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVS help required.

I'm installing XFree86, I've gotten it installed just fine. Now I need to configure it for my video card (Voodoo 5). But it won't let me do so untill I get the Glide libraries installed. I know how to do this, but it's through CVS. And I'm having a problem with connecting. Here's what I get.

root@solidus:~# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.glide.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/glide login
    Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.glide.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/glide

CVS password:
    cvs login: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory
    cvs [login aborted]: fatal error: exiting

Anyone have any Ideas on how I can get around this, or am I doing this right?

edit: I checked the box that says "Disable Smilies in This Post " and it worked. Thanks Bahamut.

Thanks

I always do cvs as a user, I do everything as a user, the only thing I do as root is "make install". You don't need to be root to download, configure or compile code, you don't even have to do it in /uer/src, I do it all in /home/bern/tmp and su to root for the install.

When you post a message, you can disable smilies by clicking the (wait for it)
    "Disable smilies in this post" option. (above the send button)
    :)

I was logged in as root, would it make a difference with the error I am getting? Also I have a normal user. I'm using his home direcotry. /home/greyfox. I could try logging in as that user though. Do you think it's trying tor ead this file /root/.cvspass because I'm logged in as root?

i did some more searching and found that this may be a bug with the cvs client. I see posts that there are other people having the same issue. it seems to be resolved by running the command.

touch /root/.cvspass

I'm gonna try that later

Ok, I did the command "touch /root/.cvspass" and it allowed me to access what I needed, I'm working on installing those Glide Libraries. But I have another question. The question is, does X come with some type of window manager? or should I be able to "startx" and have some type of desktop without installing KDE or Gnome?

X has a very basic interface on its own and you'll need some sort of desktop to do anything.

So without KDE or Gnome installed when I "startx" it should give me something other than a black screen right?

Yeah, you'll get a grey screen with black dots and an X for the pointer.

Ok here's the real problem I'm having. I got X installed just fine.
    Now I'm trying to run "XFree86 -configure" it tells me this:

>>>>> Could not load the shared library file for Glide: "libglide2x.so"!

You need to have Glide installed to run the glide driver for XFree86.
    Also, you need to tell XFree86 where the libglide2x.so file is placed
    by making a soft link in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory that points
    to the libglide2x.so file. For example (if your libglide2x.so file is in
    /usr/lib):

# ln -s /usr/lib/libglide2x.so /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

Now I assume that I need to install the glide libraries, because this doesn't exist on my system. But I can't find glide in a format I can use. All I find are stupid rpms. I don't know what to do. You think I shoud ditch this Voodoo 5 and get a Nvidia card. MAybe it would be easier or better to install. Definetly more driver support currently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information