Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie question

i run a custom computer shop in arizona and would like to offer my customers a alternative to windows and the only thing to me worth looking at is linux so here's the ?, which one should i offer for absolute total newbie customers used to windows(ugg):smokin:

Well I would recommend Redhat because of their (almost) total-support options and their package management system is rather good although some people do experience problems when trying to compile their own programs.
    Okay my 2 cents now going back to the corner

At this point I would have to recomend Mandrake linux for a newbie distro, RedHat is more a server/corperate product. You can get a brief rundown on most distro's at DistroWatch.

OK here's my 2 cents to add to the kitty.

In so much as which distribution is better or easier I truly have no idea or opinion.

But I will say that in my ventures around the www that Mandrake and Redhat are by far the most widely documented.
    That's got to be a real asset to someone venturing into open source for the first time.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Gernal consencous around the digs is that Mandrake is the best newbie Linux distro. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I've got Mandrake 8.2 installed and runs pretty good. I tried Red Hat 7.2 and had issues with getting it to get started. Perhaps me.. but that should say something. I also have Redmond Linux, which is getting upgraded to Lycoris/LX after next tuesday at the KLUG (Kalamazoo Linux Users Group). From what I've seen of Lycoris, it might be the best bet for newbies that are windows oriented.. sure looks and feels like Windows anyway. It not as feature rich as Mandrake, but if your skilled (me??) you can certainly add to it with the accomp. CDs included.

Is Wiggo a gal?? Always wondered with name like "babe posting moderator" *VBS*.. no offence to ya Wiggo if ya are a guy!!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

LOL
    It's always been my opinion that Kay should have kept her original forum identity, then we wouldn't be having this sort of confusion:D
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Damn now I am disappointed. :cry:

There there Wiggo. Frost is a kinda' recent addition to the line-up here. And like I said, I think it is all Kay's fault for changing her handle. (though if you should tell her I said that I will vehemently deny any such statement:D ) Be just my luck though she will venture out of the Beer Garden just to see this.

Frost, unless Wiggo has been the perpetrator of the longest running identity scam within this forum, he is a guy.
    The Title Babe Posting Moderator was bestowed upon Wiggo for his remarkable ability to track down and share some of the nicest pictures (within a PG rating of course) of the feminine form as anyone has had the pleasure of viewing,

uhh, this might be a good time to offer Wiggo a virtual beer Frost

Sorry Wiggo!! I'm not sure what beer ya want...perhaps Foster?? *S* How about a nice glass of Fenn Valley wine (I'm the winemaker there)??? Perhaps a nice Sweet Harvest Riesling? www.fennvalley.com *S*

I've noticed that when it comes to Linux, there are a LOT more guys than gals that use it. If you do an ICQ search for Computers.linux and include "male" it goes on almost endlessly, however if you change the search to "female" in it's search priorities, it diminishes greatly.

I went to the KLUG meeting last night and picked up the CD that Bruce burned for me with KDE 3.0 for Mandrake. I looked at it last night, and it has some RPM files on it..in fact LOTS! I included the CD in the software managers list as a source of software. Clicked on the stuff that pretained to KDE 3.0 and installed.. well sort of. It kept asking for a dependency and told me to insert download CD 3 in mnt/cdrom (thinking that's right), and so I put it in the other CD drives (have 2) but never recognized the drive, so did not install successfully. Now if I go into the CD and click on a RPM file, then the sofware manager does it's thing and runs. Does that mean KDE 3.0 is now on my Linux Mandrake 8.2 partition??

See ya.. and here's a nice Guiness Xtra Stout for Wiggo *passes a full stein with nice head on it, to Wiggo!*
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection