Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MDK9 - Using IPTables causes Open Office to Lock up

Thank you very much, I remember briefly touching on AWK in my OS class, wish I would have learned it more..but thanks again.
    | AMD XP 1800+ | MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 | 512 mb Crucial PC2700 | Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 128mb |
    | 40 GB Maxtor HD | 30 GB WD HD | Lian-Li PC60 Modded Case | SK6 Heatsink | FastAccess DSL |
    | Windows XP Home SP1 | Mandrake Linux 9.0 |

Just out of curiosity what is the /32 added to the end for...thanks again for all your help.
    | AMD XP 1800+ | MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 | 512 mb Crucial PC2700 | Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 128mb |
    | 40 GB Maxtor HD | 30 GB WD HD | Lian-Li PC60 Modded Case | SK6 Heatsink | FastAccess DSL |

Buggered if I know, I lifted that line from a DSL script I found on the net one day. I have a few diferent ones that I collected for comparison and to see how diferent people used iptables.

Oh..ok..lol...well it didn't work if I had the /32 on the end..I did an echo of the "EXT_IP" to see what was stored in it and if I did it with the /32 it added it to the end of my ip address and would crash the program, so I just took it off and it works fine...thanks again..

I could be wrong but the /xx means use the first xx digits of the 32 bit ip address...if you have /32 it means use the full 32 bit ip address....I found something similar to this in the firewall script I modified....my parameter was /24 which it says was similar to net masking the ip address as 255.255.255.0
    The older I get...the better I was

Hey bern, what exactly does the -c in this statement do.

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXT_IF -j TRAF-IN -c $X1

Because, for some reason now when I try to start the firewall it says...iptables v1.2.6a: Unknown arg `-c'...just wondering if you could help any.

Thanks.

The "-c" parameter is telling IPtables how many packets to process..in your case the number contained in the variable X1.

The whole line is appending (-A) an IPtables rule for INPUT packets received from the source EXT_IF and telling it to jump (-j) to the rule called TRAF-IN.

For example if the input source in EXT_IF is say a modem and the rule in TRAF-IN is to discard the packet and the variable X1 is 5 then the line is telling the kernel to take 5 packets received from the modem and drop them.

Roughly speaking that is.....without the rest if the script the above is an interpretation only of what the line is doing. Very crude interpretation and maybe one of the better informed fellas can help a bit more.
    The older I get...the better I was

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information