Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows applications in Linux

Does anyone know anything that you can use to run windows programs under Linux? and/or where i can find one?
    I think i've heard of one before, but cant remember what it was called.
    I've only just started with Linux, using MDK9 and really liking it :thumb:
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

A couple of Windows "emulators" (they're not actually emulators but act like it) I've come across but haven't used
    WINE...free with most distros.... partially successful
    WINEX and WineX2...pay for..more successfull and emulates directX calls
    Win4Lin (Actually fully install windows inside a linux shell)....pay for

I think there may be some others and various releases of these with varying success rates....
    The older I get...the better I was

Where is the best place to get/download stuff?
    I think it's pretty good but it needs a bit more for me to ditch windows staight away.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

If you are talking about the best place to get more linux programs then try either http://sourceforge.net/ or http://cnet.com/ (Look Under downloads then linux). Also, just start doing searches or ask us as to what programs you want.

Also, for wine you might want to check out http://www.winehq.com/ I used wine about two weeks ago and got it to do simple things like play solitaire and notepad, I got it to start half-life but it would never load the game...but check it out.
    | AMD XP 1800+ | MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 | 512 mb Crucial PC2700 | Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 128mb |
    | 40 GB Maxtor HD | 30 GB WD HD | Lian-Li PC60 Modded Case | SK6 Heatsink | FastAccess DSL |
    | Windows XP Home SP1 | Mandrake Linux 9.0 |

Win4Lin is probably the best with almost 100% compatibility I've read (cause it installs windows inside a linux shell), but it does cost a pretty penny....you are probably better trying to find linux versions of the games or whatever software you are thinking of running...may end up being less trouble in the end....Except for the games (which I don't worry about anyway) I found linux workalikes a lot better than the windows stuff anyway..
    The older I get...the better I was

WinMx 3.3 won't display the search results nor the transfers when I tried to emulate it in WineX. There's another emulator that you might want to try, VMWare. VMWare can emulate any Windows OS, but you need to install it through VMWare to access it. DirectX shouldn't be a problem in VMWare, but it'd be kinda nice if I could get WineX to work properly.

Thread Information