Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto run?

hey, i've just installed mandrake 9 on an old machine (p166).
    i want to be able to control this thing via the network, so i'm going for VNC, now here is my problem, how can i get the VNC server to start up automatically when i turn the comp on (it automatically logs into my user account)

VNC? so you want to control the GUI? otherwise SSH would be good...otherwise, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and chuck in there ./path/to/vnc

this'll load every time the computer boots...hopefully :)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

well, i'm using the atomic guide and there are a few places in teh guide which don't quite work properly so i have to switch back from my comp to the old comp and pluging and unpluging the monitor cable is starting to get really annoying so i thought VNC :)

but now i'm reinstalling and making it NOT start the X Window System. so hopefully all should be good now :)

Andy, you don't need to reinstall for that, remember its linux :D
    all you have to do is edit /etc/inittab and change the line that looks like id:3:initdefault:
    in yourcase that #3 would've been a 5...
    this link can explain RunLevels (which is what your dealing with there)..http://ctdp.tripod.com/os/linux/howl...rks/index.html
    At the request of wiggo ;)

nah, i'm changing packages and stuff as well... so i thought it would just be easier to reinstall :\

ok, a little update.

i've re installed, but now for some reason, when i make NFS start on boot, i get his error:

Starting NFS Quotas: Cannot register service: RPC: Unalbe to reviece; errno=Connection refused
    rpc.rquotad: unable to register (RQUOTAPROG, RQUOTAVERS, udp)
    [FAILED]

Starting NFS daemon:

and it stops there :\, any one know the solution?

Are you using NFS [Network File Systems] at all? if not disable NFS..

you would only need NFS if you were exporting NFS file systems to other Unix boxes. if you are exporting NFS file systems to Windows boxes you'll need a client on the PC side to access the file systems. It much easier to just use samba to do that.

Yep, NFS can and should be disabled if you dont require its services. SMB (Samba) is alot easier to setup. Checkout SWAT. (Samba Web Administration Tool) I think the T stands for Tool, dunno. But you just login to it from any browser window, local or not. Like Webmin.

Im not sure if MDK comes with either of those administration tools though. There are more detailed and easier to follow guides out on the net than that Atomic one.

The man page agrees -

[code:1:1a279f4859]SWAT(8) SWAT(8)

NAME
    swat - Samba Web Administration Tool

SYNOPSIS
    nmblookup [ -s <smb config file> ] [ -a ]
    [/code:1:1a279f4859]
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

ok, cool, i thought i was missing out on something special there :o

BTW i use webmin to admin samba :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information