Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A kernel error (Mandrake 9)...

Here's a change... I usually post in Windows but I'm giving Linux a shot for a while and I must say that I quite like it. I am having a problem with the command line syntax but I guess it took a while to learn DOS as well.

I was going through all the items in the 'Control Center' and I was looking at all the entries and utilities and I came across this interesting item under 'System'. Do I need to panic and is the problem repairable? Bearing in mind that I am a rank newbie to Linux... how do I do this?

The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:

Cannot open /usr/src/linux/arch//config.in for reading. Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you just found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator.

I wouldn't worry, it won't cause any problems with your install, you just won't be able to configure a kernel through the kde control center...and nobody does that anyway (afaik). There are two possible explanitions for this error, either you don't have the kernel sources installed or your distro installed them somewhere else.

Thank you Bern... as long as I have nothing to worry about it's onward and upward to the next problem

Thread Information