Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can someone help my friend out?

He posted this on my site earlier and I have no clue how to help him :(

Need someone's help who _KNOWS_ Linux pretty good.
    This post is the beginning of a thread.
    posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 8:54:55 AM Return to Top
    Verrigan
    Guardians of the Lost Faith

(Lesser Yeoman)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    verrigan@guardthefaith.net

What I want to do... Run a proxy program on my server... Nothing extravegant... I want to set my proxy server at work to it.

Here's what's going to be strange about it...

I want it to run on port 23. (Normally Telnet, but as long as I can get the proxy working okay, I'll have no need for telnet access on that port.)

I want it to let me route all of the AC/Zone ports through it.. (Hoping I don't need to run a firewall for this..)

Anyways.. The evil dictators at the Naval Education and Training department have decided that the ign.com domain is not a good website for me to be at, so they blocked it. So, I want to work around it... Currently, from work, I have to access the vault from Lynx (text-web browser) on my server... real pain in the ass..

Any help would be appreciated. Just point me in the right direction to the software and the documentation and I can go from there. (I would prefer something that is licensed under the GPL, so if something unexpected happens and I need to change something, I can. )

Thanks in advance!

no one has any suggestions? :*(

Ya just have to wait for the experts to get here mate. ;)

ok will do :) thanks

Have you considered squid?
    Hahahaha..how ironic....navy....squid....geddit? hahahaha.
    Anyway, according to the squid FAQ you can set it to use a different port when you compile it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blond
    He posted this on my site earlier and I have no clue how to help him :(

Need someone's help who _KNOWS_ Linux pretty good.
    This post is the beginning of a thread.
    posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 8:54:55 AM Return to Top
    Verrigan
    Guardians of the Lost Faith

(Lesser Yeoman)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    verrigan@guardthefaith.net

What I want to do... Run a proxy program on my server... Nothing extravegant... I want to set my proxy server at work to it.

Here's what's going to be strange about it...

I want it to run on port 23. (Normally Telnet, but as long as I can get the proxy working okay, I'll have no need for telnet access on that port.)

I want it to let me route all of the AC/Zone ports through it.. (Hoping I don't need to run a firewall for this..)

Anyways.. The evil dictators at the Naval Education and Training department have decided that the ign.com domain is not a good website for me to be at, so they blocked it. So, I want to work around it... Currently, from work, I have to access the vault from Lynx (text-web browser) on my server... real pain in the ass..

Any help would be appreciated. Just point me in the right direction to the software and the documentation and I can go from there. (I would prefer something that is licensed under the GPL, so if something unexpected happens and I need to change something, I can. )

Thanks in advance!
    If I am following this correctly, you want to use your machine at home (or somewhere else) to mask your browsing activities. You want to bounce the website off of the other machine, and re-port it to port 23. If this is right, you have some options.

1) squid - as mentioned above, should be a slam-dunk to install, and change the configuration to listen on port 23. (squid - navy hehe)

2) ssh into the remote machine and run a text based browser. Lynx is ok, but it is showing its age. try 'links' It handles frames and most http1.1 stuff fine.

3) ssh into the remote machine and use X forwarding. should be as simple as 'ssh -X dumbmachine' Then you should be able to run mozilla and display the GUI to your client. This requires a broadband connection, and is not the fastest thing in the world, but it is encrypted, and effectively secure.

4) not do any of this, and actually earn your pay. (couldn't resist :)
    Ken (Buggzz)
    Unix System Administrator, Nerd, and overall nice guy.

My Work ( Space Imaging LLC )
    My Other Work ( Bay Paper Company )

Thread Information