Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a n00b

My favorite Distro is Slackwear.

It took me a couple of months to get it working right but man did I learn.

You'll also find all the info you need on line as the internet community really helps out us newbies.

Don't give up on the drive because Windows doesn't like it.
    There is a possibility that Linux will play fine with it, as was my experience.
    No guarantees now mind you, but nothing to lose by trying.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

that's definitly true too. Its jsut 3 blue screens in a period of 2 hours is a bit scary. Especially for a machine that never crahes (well not never) . But anyway I'll put the drive back in and as soon as my dad runs out to get us more blanks. I'll get started on my linux project.

Well I've got Mandrake 9.0 and Lycoris ready to roll once I get the old and new servers swapped around. :)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Don't worry about that drive messing with your Windows installation. Once you get Linux on it (if of course you should be so fortunate) Windows will not even know the drive exists.

Funny part is, from Linux you can do anything you want with, or to, the Windows drive.

Rather sorry how lame Windows is in comparison to Linux.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Except limitations with NTFS partitions. ;)

Just make sure that ya share data on FAT32. :)

No need for one, you can read linux partitions from windows with this handy little tool

Now you dont have to dedicate any of your hdd space to stupid fat32. Works well. I finally did my reformat today; full ntfs setup, no more fat32 shackles slowing me down. Win2k as well, back from XP. Its nice to have a decent networking environment again.

Anyway, win2k & slack, they get along like two peas in a pod.

Have they been able to get Linux to write to a NTFS partition now? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Have they been able to get Linux to write to a NTFS partition now? :?:

I'm thinking the wise developers in the open source community have definitely come up with some methods of doing so, I can't think of the names of such utilities offhand -- but I'm sure there are such tools.

It's just that all I've come across so far is that ya can get Linux to read NTFS but writin' to it was out and all the guides so far that I've read for the multiboot enviroment that I'm lookin' at (up to 5 oses) is that shared files must be on a FAT32 partition. Links please would be nice if this is not so. :confused:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information