Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual booting

I want to dual boot with Linux Red Hat 8.0 and WinXP.. i already have my hard drive partitioned into several sizable partitions with XP installed on one currently... it is not on the main partition though.. my C drive is still there available for use.. will i be able to install Red Hat with out screwing up my system and do i have to install it to the main partition.. thanks for the help.. oh and to clarify i don't want to unistal and reinstall xp..

install linux in the available space partition (note:linux will create and format it's own partions there)...it's prefered to have windows installed first in a red hat/windows boot, so no worries there
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

You can install Windows and Linux on any partition you like, but its always best to install Linux second (seeings as windows already installed, you've already got this bit covered :)). Linux will install its bootloader into the MBR, and will detect windows and will add it to the boot menu...

All will be good :)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

great.. thanks guys for your help.. that's just what i wanted to know :cheers:

Dual boot setups are easy.

If you know how to partition..Just set things up, and RH will take care of the booting stuff. You'll have a GUI in which you choose what operating system to boot. When you boot up your system. It will also ask you to make a boot disk if you want it ;p
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

If you dual boot with redhat then you should always use grub as your botloader, if you know why then you probably know how to fix redhats version of lilo.

I tried installing XP and RH8, but when booted i got no XP
    where should the bootloader be??
    in MBR or boot partition?

thats a good question cause when i installed rh8 i accidentally deleted my boot files for xp thereby rendering it useless and had to reinstall.. be carefull.. from what i know... xp sets up it's boot stuff on the c: drive so i made c small and left it alone ... i guess this will help but i've been too scared to try to reinstall red hat... anyone know if this is a good way of doing it...

I go and ask my teacher. She's been kickin a$$, i mean teaching class on Linux so she would know.
    I'll have the answer up later today.

BTW I'm in opposite boat as you. I could care less for XP as long as the RH8 works.
    :D : peace2:

in my case, where the xp is in first part. of first drive, and Linux is second part. i would want to install it in the MBR.
    If you install linux to a second drive, you have to do it to boot partition of the boot drive.
    Hope this makes sense to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information