Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hardware

Since I am in a situation where I can buy hardware for my future linux box, I am looking for some feedback. I am only in need of a motherboard and soundcard. I am particularly interested in driver compatibility and ease of installation. I have not heard a lot of good things about SB sound cards and linux, due to driver issues. If anyone has any real info on that issue please share it. Also, with the MB, I would prefer Epox, but I can't find anything on linux drivers. Any insight would be appreciated.

JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Take a look here:
    http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?page...advsearch#form

I know you may not be using RedHat, but it's a good resource to find out what hardware is supported.

The motherboard, memory, and chipset. That's all stuff in the kernel. A stock kernel should be good for beginning. They usually have all the support for a wide range of systems compiled in. But if It doesn't it'll either be a module you load, or you have to compile it in.

I know for a fact that the SBLive works. You just have to load the kernel module for it, emu10k1.o

I would say for a Video Card go with Nvidia or ATI, as they provide drivers for linux that give 3D acceleration equal to or greater than the windows drivers. And they're very well documented.

I saw also check with the manufacturer of the hardware you have to see if they have created drivers also.

Later

Bern told me that my 8K3A was fine in the support dept and that nVIDIA has the best video card support so far. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thank you for the replies, I may even try dual booting on the system that I have. I didn't really want to but that should give me an outlet for my enthusiasm until I get around to ordering new toys!

Fa-Mas,
    I am glad to hear about the SB support. I like my SB cards for the most part. Since they are familiar, I was hoping to stick with them, at least for the time being. I was actually planning on using Slackware 8.1, but a friend who works at a bookstore gifted me a copy of RH8 w/ the bible. So I will probably try both.

Wiggo,
    My 8K3A committed suicide not too long ago :cry: (will post that thread some other day), but I am hoping that my 8RDA will do the trick. If the dual booting works then I will probably just get another. With Nvidia drivers for both my MB and my GF3, the prospects are looking good so far. :thumb:

thanks for the replies guys!
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

my advice, use GRUB for your bootloader if you do dual boot. its simpler than LILO.

just in case you didnt know that already
    :2cents:

Thread Information