Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux for an absolute newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    well so it
    RedHat - 2
    and
    SuSe - 1

btw minibubba what do you say about knoppix? i read about it and it is also when of those Linux OS that can be used from CD.

thanx for the help guys...though more suggestions are always welcome. :)
    I love Knoppix. i use it as a Linux system recovery disk. boot from the knoppix CD and make any repairs you need to make to your system so it will once again be workable. Knoppix is also great for when you just wanna try linux but don't really know what you are doing [I have recommended it to many people who otherwise would probably lose all the data on their hard drives if they had to partition]. You boot from the Knoppix CD and it mounts your hard drive as read only so you have access to all your files you just can't change/add any files to the drives unless you mount the hard drive so you can write to it.

One caveat an older slower system isn't so great for Knoppix unless you are planning to run it without a window manager [no GUI]. You can also use knoppix to check out a new different window manager [my current favorite is fluxbox which i discovered while booting knoppix on my laptop]..

Originally posted by rugbydude
    [B]I really want to install a linkux OS but its all so damn confusing. When they make one where there is just one file u download and then it will run i'll get that:laugh:
    Just one file to download? here it is.

Well I am just about to start burning the Redhat 9.0 discs, and I have one thing to say... BitTorrent ROCKS! :D. I just verified the md5sums using some 3rd party program, and all 3 discs were correct. Even better BitTorrent verifies the files automagically after you download! Well this is awesome, and I am about to get burning... Hopefully next time I talk to you I will be in RH 9.0 :O) I just hope friggin-darn linux likes my new ASUS A7N8X mobo :afro:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by XBoy
    I just hope friggin-darn linux likes my new ASUS A7N8X mobo :afro:
    it should...that was one of the problems with RH8, and was fixable by upgrading the kernel. So RH9 should work with it just fine...and most nforce2 mobos as well

I have the A7N8X Deluxe too and I certainly do not want to modify the kernel again so let us know how it is since it will be a week before most of us can download it =)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well... Sound is auto-installed an sounding great! It seems everything is going well, then I click on Mozilla. When www.google.com can't be found I realize that there is no internet connection. So I go to the internet connection wizard, and my card isn't even there! I go to the asus site, and get the all-in-one Nforce 2 drivers for linux for RH 7.3... Needless to say when I install them the card comes up, but when I try to activate my eth0 I get an error about it not being there. I read a FAQ on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, and it say's to get the LAN driver modules from NVIDIA... I go there and find only up to Redhat 8.0, but see the tarball. Now of course I am saying this from Windows XP, as I had no internet with Redhat 9.0, I will uninstall the ASUS Nforce 2 AIO RH 7.3 drivers, as everything seemed to be working fine. After I compile that tarball for the LAN, as there are no 9.0 rpms available yet, I will let you guys know how I made out :afro:

Wish me luck...
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Well I am now online posting this from Mozilla 1.2.1 in Redhat 9.0 :afro: I had a little battle with the NVIDIA drivers on the motherboard, but I am really starting to friggin-darn hate rpm's. I downloaded the source rpm and got some bogues typical rpm bull**** error. Ok I say to myself **** the rpm, well do the tarball. Here's a little hold-your-hand tutorial for what I did... I hope it helps you people with the Asus A7N8X/A7N8X pro...

1. Firstly go to www.nvidia.com and click download drivers. Click the nforce, and select linux. Scroll all the way down and grab the nforce all in one tarball. Save this on a floppy or CDROM, pen drive etc. so you can access it from linux.
    2. Mount your media and copy the tarball to your home directory, or your directory designated for packages.
    3. From a virtual terminal as root type 'ark NVIDIA_nforce*'
    4. CD to the nforce directory and run 'make' as root.
    5. When all that good stuff is done type 'make install'
    6. Now still as root type '/sbin/modprobe nvnet'
    7. Make sure you have the line 'alias eth0 nvnet' in your /etc/modules.conf
    8. Reboot, and let Redhat automagically configure your hardware :afro:

I hope I helped you guys, feel free to PM me if you need anymore help. For the average linux user, these directions probably aren't too hard to follow... Right you 1337z0r H4xXx0rs??? :thumb:

EDIT: Now I am surfing the web, and playing Chromium with the newest NVIDIA linux drivers :O). Man I have spent so much time in XP lately I forgot the joys of linux. The newest NVIDIA drivers are done via script and not rpm, which really turns me on . Not only are they faster to install, but they even tell you to edit you XF86Config file... WoWsers!!! All you non linux users should consider switching just for Chromium B.S.U. ... Man that game rocks :thumb: Yah well I think I'll go play some Tux Racer, then tommarow go about attempting to install Day of Defeat on my ext3 partition... I only left linux for a month or two, and already I am behind. Linux is most definetly ready for Desktop users as of now!
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

i go with LINUX redhat 8 for desktops and 7.3 for laptops.. I use 7.3 for my laptop cause it has the LAPTOP setup,,(which is nice,,no need to pick all my programs)

Cant wait till i download redhat 9.. sounds like everyone in www.linuxiso.org forum is talking about..

X boy,, what new featur is in redhat 9???
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

my another questions seems to have been blown in wind.
    guys what about the HD? how should i go ahead with that?
    both OS on same HD on different partitions or one dedicated HD for each one?
    another thing that comes to my mind is what file system does linux use? does it use FAT? if it doesn't use FAT then how will i format my drive to that particular kinda file system?
    you must be thinking what a dud I am but infact i don't know anything about linux and i will need help from you guys...BIG TIME.
    thanx for your time guys. you've been excellent
    :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Put it on the second drive, and linux has several filesystems to choose from, you should pick either ext3 or ReiserFS, linux can read and write to fat32 but can only read ntfs.

thanx a lot pal and what do you suggest? which distro should i go for...you can already guess my status in using it. :(
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information