Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux for an absolute newbie!

though i m quite scared to do it but i am in for learning something new.
    i would like to install Linux on one of my spare HD's thats been lying around safely in my closet, so what do you suggest? i am an absolute newbie as far as linux install is concerned and would like to know that what should i go for.
    Red Hat...Mandrake...Slackware? (yup i have heard a few names too :p)
    another thing is that i will be adding the new HD as Primary Slave. so what should i do with this thing? should i put WinXP and Linux on partitions on Primary Master or should i dedicate one HD to each OS i.e. WinXP on Master and Linux on Slave? Will I have to make any hardware settings too?

Any links that can help me in installation and all the chores (if-any) after that will be highly recommended too. Thanx in advance guys!
    :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I have been using linux on and off since the end of last summer. It's nice, and I believe it is 100% ready for desktop usage! Redhat IMHO is much better than Mandrake! When you first go to linux many people will tell you either Redhat or Mandrake. My suggestion is go with Redhat as you can get a better understanding of the basics faster than if you go with Mandrake. I found it was easier to get things to work with Redhat, and as of now it's probably my favorite distro. The only thing that kind of stinks is it's rather slow. Not sluggish, but noticable slower than a tweaked out WinXP OS. Since Redhat is so big, it's easier to get help for, and I would recommend you start with it! So wait for Redhat 9.0 to come out and buy it or download it! J.A.M.D. Is a distro that not many people know about, but it's packages are i686 compiled which means that they are made for pentium pro processors and above. This speeds things up significantly, and therefore it becomes a little faster than Redhat. J.A.M.D. Is a pretty good distribution, but less compatible than Redhat. Slackware I havn't used but it's definetly not 'newbie' friendly, unless you are willing to spend mucho time on it. Debian is great, but it's packages are outdated... However Debian is very stable, but not exactly for new users. Once you get used to linux and use it for a while, you can use an 'Uber-1337' distro such as LFS, or Gentoo where you compile everything for your system, and can get added speed, and you end up with a completely customised system, which is uber-fast :afro: . These distro's are pretty difficult, and require a LOT of time. Compiling takes a while on new hardware, and on older hardware can take you [b]DAYS]/b] to get what you want. SuSe is a distro that many people in England like, but it doesn't appeal to me any more than Mandy or Redhat. Redhat can become quite fast though once you recompile the kernel, and replace the window manager. Not uber-fast, but faster than out of the box. I was thinking the other day to download Knoppix, which is a fairly new distro that boots completely from CD, and has auto hardware detection. It is based heavily upon Debian, but is supposed to have newer packages, and be easier to use. Knoppix sounds awesome, a matter of fact I might download it now...

Hope I helped you a little bit :thumb: All that blog above simply means wait for Redhat 9.0 which will come out definetly by the end of this month, and get that!

EDIT: Redhat 9.0 just released check redhat.com or www.distrowatch.com for details!!! Screw Knoppix I'm going to download this biotch!
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I really want to install a linkux OS but its all so damn confusing. When they make one where there is just one file u download and then it will run i'll get that:laugh:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I'd recomend SuSe or Red Hat

you can run SuSe (Live-Eval) off a CD to see if it's really for you...without creating any partitions or screwing your current OS

http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...nux/index.html

imo, SuSe is is easier to use than RH or mandrake...and has better harware compatabiity

but redhat 9 is comming out in a week (I think)...so that may be something to check out

a few other links:
    http://linuxiso.org/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6162
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

well so it
    RedHat - 2
    and
    SuSe - 1

btw minibubba what do you say about knoppix? i read about it and it is also when of those Linux OS that can be used from CD.

thanx for the help guys...though more suggestions are always welcome. :)
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

If ya lookin' at real beginners stuff (the others are only a download away or a PC mag cover disk anyway) then start with Lycoris (very XP'ish) or Mandrake to get the feel of it and then progress up the scale till ya get to Slack (that's how I'm goin' start anyway, once I get my rooms built in the garden shed, which should be fairly soon I hope).

I am downloading Redhat 9 right now through a program called Bittorrent. It was mentioned on /. so I am trying it... My download is going at 111 kilobytes. Not bad . It has resume support an all! Just go here http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html and get the windows installer, and save target as the Redhat 9 iso .torrent file. Run the installer, and then move the .torrent to the Bittorent directory, and double click it, and then locate the same Bittorent folder your in. Simple as that!

UPDATE: Download going at 153 kilobytes per second!!! :afro:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

simple for people who get download speeds of 153 kilobytes per second.
    not so simple for people with speeds of 6-7 kilobytes per second :rolleyes2
    hey wiggo does that mean RedHat should wait for sometime? :?:
    suddenly coming out of nowhere mandrake tops my list now. someone else told me that mandrake is quite beginner kinda thing too.
    its getting confusing now.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

RH is getting very business like (similar to NT and 2K server in a way) and is really classed as mid range of the Linux distro's and I certainly don't plan on startin' in the middle plus I'm on dailup to remember atm till I get my ISDN connection later this month but here in Aussieland PC mags also have cover CD's that come with these oses on them and that's how I got the latest of Lycoris and Mandrake versions (plus RH but I'll save that one for a bit).

well with RH launching 9 yesterday i feel the same way that u do. lets wait for the review of RH and see how people like it.
    i might not be able to get my hands on lycoris but mandrake is surely in reach. i think i'll get my hands on mandrake then.
    anyother options available guys or should i go for mandrake?
    man i m sounding picky. :p
    but on the serious note i don't want to bump in a wall and end up deleting linux off my drive. i really want to learn this stuff and the only way i think of is to start with an easier thing. till now most of the people have told me to go for mandrake or knoppix and madrake is really catching up.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information