Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Comments on PNY Memory

Situation: I have been given a $100 store credit at Best Buy. I figure I can go with some PNY Memory or a new 80GB hard drive.

I'm looking for comments on PNY's memory. I am preparing to build an Athlon 64 system primarily for gaming.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

S.B.G.T.F.
    (Saved By Grace Through Faith)
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" - Ephesians 2:8

NZXT Guardian Black Case
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Epox 8KDA3J nForce3250gb Motherboard
    1GB Kingston Value Ram (512x2) CL 3
    120GB Western Digital EIDE Hard Driver 7200RPM
    Audigy 2
    Radeon 64MB VIVO
    DVD-ROM
    48x12x48 CD-RW
    Video Card is the next thing to upgrade.

Get a different memory brand (Corsair, Geil, OCZ, Mushkin are all good). Use the card for an HDD. If Best Buy sells the Western Digital 10000RPM Raptors (36.7 GB and 74 GB versions), try to get those. That would be the smartest thing to get for your HDD. Otherwise a 7200RPM 8MB cache SATA drive will do.

Unless you're not using SATA....

PNY isn't bad memory, but it isn't the best either. While it will likely be perfectly stable at default speeds, it generally doesn't play well when you begin cranking up the FSB or tweaking the memory timings. Remember, you get what you pay for.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

hopefully places like bestbuy would cary kingston and viking ram to. i know kingston is great, as for viking i have heard good things, but from not so reliable sources.

PNY RAM IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS GENERIC RAM FROM what i"ve heard bout it youre much better off getting adifernt brand such as kingstons budget ram brand kingmax

Quote Originally Posted by Amdking
    PNY RAM IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS GENERIC RAM FROM what i"ve heard bout it youre much better off getting adifernt brand such as kingstons budget ram brand kingmax
    Kingmax has absolutely nothing to do with Kingston, two totally different companies.

Kingston's budget RAM is called Kingston Value-RAM or something like that, and if Best Buy has it than get it instead.

Really? Sorry mate. One of my friends told me that kingmax was owned by kingston and it was their budget ram. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Amdking
    Really? Sorry mate. One of my friends told me that kingmax was owned by kingston and it was their budget ram. Thanks for clearing that up.
    No ties at all, though I can see how you could be misguided into thinking they are. :cheers:

I refuse to use PNY RAM ever again. Why? Because everytime I use them, I have problems with stability, it won't run anything but the slowest timings...it's budget quality, but they seem to think they can charge alot more than the crap is worth.

Thread Information