Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Speed versus Processor

Default Memory Speed versus Processor

I should know the answer to this question, but I don't so I'll ask you. I recently had 2 Epox 8RD3AI mobo and both boards had an AMD 2200+ processor and 1 512 MB Ram module, fall into my hands. The board is a nForce2 Ultra 400 chips and can use 200/266/333/400 memory and the 2200+ is 266 Mhz version AthlonXP. The Memory is PC2100.

Now then, I would like to get 1 GB of PC2700 or PC3200, but am I limited to PC2100 due to the processor, or can I get the faster memory without any performance issues?

Thanks Brian

Default Re: Memory Speed versus Processor

I don't see any issues with upgrading your ram. Also..going to high clock ddr gives you overclocking room if you plan on doing that.

Yeah, you'll be able to overclock that CPU a lot more with PC2700 or 3200, asssuming your board allows overclocking. Plus, you can run the CPU and RAM at seperate speeds. It won't provide a huge performance increase, but you should still be able to do it.

Thanks. Now the next question, I'm not going to overclock the systems, these are basically going to end up being general kid type PC's, homework, games, research, nothing extreme. Home much difference would 1 Gig of PC2700 make over 1 Gig of PC2100? I can't imagine a huge difference.

I'd call it a waste of money, in this situation. If you aren't overclocking, don't bother replacing that much RAM with faster RAM that the CPU can barely use.

Thanks for all your help.

Brian

Thread Information