Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrading ram on a msi gnb max

Default Re: upgrading ram on a msi gnb max

No problem. :)

I assumed you were selling the PSU, but keeping it would be smarter anyway.

Corair makes value PC3200, but I would suggest seeing if Kreton or Kingmax have something cheaper with the same latency. I would actually suggest value PC3500, though, as it's almost a must for OCing and not much more expensive.

The Chaintech is regarded as one of the three best overclocking and performance motherboards. The difference is that the competition is about 50% more expensive (over here, at least).

There is a noticable gain in going to SATA, but IDE equivelents are cheapr and aren't exactly slow. I'd rather have a 120GB IDE than an 80GB if I might use all that space, and they're almost the same price.

BTW, make sure you get a decent PSU for your stepdad (or make sure hes get himself one, anyway). I'd say a quality 350W ought to be good enough for him.

Also, the video cards don't change quite as much as everyone seems to think. The 9800 Pro was where the GeForce 6800 is now for well over a year (perhaps two years.. whenever the XT came out, don't recall). The 6800 will be the bottom of the high-end range for quite some time (12-24 months, I'd guess), and the bottom of the high-end range is better than the middle of the mid-range (9800).

i suppose i'm a bit prejudice to video cards because of my experience. when i bought my accelerator, pc gaming was relatively new to the high end demand. now that it is more mainstream, the technology is slowing down some.

i'll do some researching on the products you mentioned. i am still waiting for some income tax return funds as well as some other income coming to me. i probably have about 3-4 weeks before i have the cash in hand. mind you, after checking into all this new stuff will give me a chubby to get it right away :), so i may even have to use the LOC

thanks again.

do you know of any sites, offhand, that have reviewed and compared p4 and amd athlon 64?
    P4 2.4B (533FSB)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512 DDR Mushkin
    128 ATI Radeon 9100
    80GB WD JB
    Plextor 24/10/40
    Antec 1080 AMG w/ 430 truepower

Anandtech, HardOCP, Tom's Hardware Guide; take your pick. There are a few particular ones at Anandtech that I find to be good.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=1941
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2002
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2038
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2065
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=1937
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2149

The last one is particular interesting as a $146 processor finds itself being superior to a $1000 processor.

thanks for the links

i'll check them out as well as the sites you listed.
    P4 2.4B (533FSB)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512 DDR Mushkin
    128 ATI Radeon 9100
    80GB WD JB
    Plextor 24/10/40

what's the difference between giga bit lan and reg 10/100
    P4 2.4B (533FSB)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512 DDR Mushkin
    128 ATI Radeon 9100
    80GB WD JB
    Plextor 24/10/40

Gigabit is 1000mbps so in reg terms, 10/100/1000 in most cases now.

what are other great o/c'ing boards? i am having trouble finding CDN retailers that carry the chaintech model.
    how is MSI for overclocking?
    P4 2.4B (533FSB)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512 DDR Mushkin
    128 ATI Radeon 9100
    80GB WD JB
    Plextor 24/10/40

The MSI K8N Neo Platinum and Epox 8KDA3J+ (that's off the top of my head; I could be wrong on the models) are the oter choices. Those two and the Chaintech are pretty much the best OCing and performance boards out there, minus a new DFI board (could be considered the best overclocking board ever, but probably pricy...) that isn't widely available just yet (you'd be lucky to find it at all in Canada).

it's funny you should mention the DFI board. i just finished reading the Anandtech review. SWEET!
    and to top it off, i found a CDN retailer whos sells it for $160 CDN !!

i think that's what the MSI bpard is going for.

also read that SATA drives have o/c issues. thankfully Anandtech mentioned they had no troubles with this.

i have to wait till the end of the month before the DFI board is available. i did a quick shopping cart at the site to see what kind of $ i was looking at; came in around $1,300 plus a caase and decent power supply for the step dad.
    maybe by then there will be other nf3 boards out there to choose from
    P4 2.4B (533FSB)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512 DDR Mushkin
    128 ATI Radeon 9100
    80GB WD JB
    Plextor 24/10/40

There are plenty of boards to choose from, and the ones I listed (that's the
    EPoX EP-8KDA3+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum, Chaintech VNF3-250) should be available in Canada and might be cheaper than the DFI. If getting a motherboard that might overclock just a bit better (you'll have to invest more in cooling to really take advantage of it) is worth the time, then wait. Otherwise, look around for those boards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information