Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Latency Ram

Default Re: Low Latency Ram

When I said that I was referring to A64's. Who in their right mind would be have an Intel based gaming rig?? 2-2-2 RAM won't do any better than 2.5-3-3 RAM on an Athlon 64 system with a GeForce 6600GT in Doom3 running high settings. Lower settings may notice a a small jump, but considering the price of low latency RAM vs. something like Corsair Value Select it is definitely not worth it.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-29-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Thats a fair point, KoolDrew, but i am cpu limited in some games even at 1152x864, 8xAA, 16xAF because i have a 6800GT and an A64 3000 90nm. Corsair Value Select (in fact, GeIL is probably even better value ram here in the UK) wont help me remove the cpu limitation, because it wont overclock far enough 1:1 @ 2.5-3-3. But if you're only running at stock, with a less powerful video card, then timings wont matter in most recent games as you said, and the saving can be made.
    Last edited by sr4470; 12-29-2004 at 11:21 PM.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. If you are overclocking then don't even consider Corsair Value RAM or any other Value RAM as it won't overclock very well at all. And for someone building a new system and not overclocking by buying Value RAM they can save $50-$100 that can be used towards a much better video card.

I generally recommend value PC3500 or just CAS 2 (not 2-2-2) RAM to those wanting to overclock A64 systems who aren't on extremely high budgets. More expensive stuff will perform and overclock better, but it isn't necessary when overclocking Athlon 64 systems. On the other hand, a Pentium 4 or socket A nForce 2 system would almost need better RAM for overclocking purposes since there are performance hits when not running RAM and CPU speeds at 1:1.

Plenty of gamers in there right mind are using Intel systems. No gaming enthusiast who knows what he/she is doing would go for an Intel system anymore, but there was quite a long period of time when AMD didn't have anything to compete with high-end Intel chips. Most people are still using their Athlon XPs and Pentium 4s (if not something older), in which case lower-latency RAM can be noticably beneficial for both overclocking and stock performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information