Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbe needs Help with Ram Configuration and Setup

Default Re: Newbe needs Help with Ram Configuration and Setup

The socket isn't the issue; it's the chipset. Initially, it seemed Intel's dual-core would work on existing chipsets, but not long ago I read that that plan had changed and a new chipset would come out to support dual-core processors, but I'm not positive of that.

I have heard conflicting stories on this as well. I think that a few of the first wave of dual cores will work with the motherboard I have gone with but who knows. We will see over the next year what happens, I am interested in the Cell chips that will be coming out sometime.

It won't be anytime in the near future I upgrade so it is not an issue for me now. Though I would probably go 2 gig of ram. The only reason one would go with 1.5 or some wierd number that isn't a whole number would be if they had an old mobo that only has 3 slots for ram most I have seen lately have four and that is what my mobo has.

I do lots of multimedia creation, not really a gamer though play every so often, so the more ram the better. Though with the newest revelations in the technology sector and the new chips coming out I will wait and see what comes of it and which ones fly and which ones don't.

When it comes to building my next system I won't have to rush as I did with this one. The only reason I had too was because my main system failed and was about to expire at any moment so I had to rush to get a replacement.

The next build I will sink some serious cash into it, seems like in at least 6 months from now would be the time to get a new computer with all the new chips coming out. Too bad I had to get one now. :( Oh well, it works 2 to 3 times faster at most things than my old system and that is with 41 programs running in the background. Loses out to AMD for games that is for sure but it plays the game that came with the video card pretty sweet with no cutouts or loss of frames. Pain Killer is the game... pretty sweet game but didn't build this for gaming so it wont get much play after this weekend.

Thanks to all your suggestions and feedback, most of it helped a lot.

The video card is more important for gaming anyway. It would lose out to the AMD equivelent in many other areas, but for the type of media work you'll be doing, this is a better system.

As for the Cell chips, if they end up being as good as they are supposed to, either AMD/Intel will make a major advance or x86 will die around 2010 or so and be replaced by Cell, which would theoretically be able to run emulated Windows much faster than any existing X86 CPUs (which is really saying something), meaning there's no reason to use anything other than Cell. That's assuming both that it's as good as it's predicted to be and that Intel and/or AMD don't come out with something better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information