Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Compatibility ?

Angry Memory Compatibility ?

Hi,
    I have 2 memory sticks, both 512 ddr-sdram. One is pc2700 (runs at 166mhz), and the other is pc3200(runs at 200 mhz). My mobo is an ASUS Salmon, chipset SiS760, I also have an AMD Athlon 64 3300+ processor.
    Would placing them both in my mem slots cause them to run at the slower of the two speeds? or are they incompatable? Can I change something in the cmos to allow them both to run? The reason I am asking is because they cause my system to reboot spontaneously.
    Thanks
    DTM

Default Re: Memory Compatibility ?

Yes the memory will only run as fast as the slowest module plus older A64 cores do not like mixed memory.

Both should run fine at the lower speeds. The memory rating is nothing more than a guaranteed minimum speed running with good stability.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If you where looking for Preformance in your PC you should buy the same size and modle memory sticks, to insure that one dose not out way the other rather the two sticks working togather... but mixed memory is fine to have they will just run at the lowest compatable speed...

Thread Information