Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ddr Vs Ddr2

1. Question Ddr Vs Ddr2

Ok I am building a new system. I looked on newegg and they have some of this DDR2 memory. I am planning to use this motherboard - DFI lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d socket 939 nvidia nforce4 ultra atx. It says it uses DDR 400 memory. Can I use DDR2 in the motherboard and if so what kind? Is it worth it to use something higher than DDR 400 and if so, which kind should I get? What do those timing numbers mean (3-3-3-8)? If I were to overclock, which direction would the numbers need to go to improve my pc's performance?

Default Re: Ddr Vs Ddr2

You cannot use DDR2 modules... they are 200-pin (iirc) -vs- the required 184-pin modules that are DDR. Only newer Intel boards are really using these modules and its still up in the air if AMD is even gonna make use of them or just wait for the next standard to come out and jump aboard that bandwagon.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Ddr Vs Ddr2

It's 240-pin, and AMD announced some time ago that socket M2 (socket 939's replacement, oddly enough since it's a 940-pin socket which won't be compatible with socket 940) will require use of DDR2, though I doubt it's too late to change their minds. In any case, Darth is right and you will not be able to (nor have reason to) use DDR2 in that motherboard. At it's current level, DDR2 is actually inferior to DDR, so it won't matter much.

As for the timings, you would want the first three numbers to go down. The fourth doesn't matter much as it should be changed manually and will at whatever you put it (while the others won't go much lower than where they start).

It is worth it in many cases to use higher than DDR 400, although it isn't a necessity. Unlike socket A, 478, and 775 systems, overclocking your RAM will not provide a great performance increase in any application. It can be very beneficial andincrease performance significantly, but often it does not justify the cost of high-speed RAM. Whether or not you get RAM faster than DDR400 is dependent on what your budget is, what hardware you are looking at using, and what applications the machine will be used for.

Thread Information