Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which ram should I get?

1. Question Which ram should I get?

Alright, I've been pondering on getting some new ram for my computer. I currently have 640 of ram in mixed brands (one 512 centon and 128 stock dell). I would really like something really good. I will not be overclocking at all!!! I intend to use this ram later on for an extreme computer that I am planning to build in the future. So, it needs to be some good stuff. I would like to get a dual channel 1gig kit (2x512) of pc3200 (DDR 400). I have read that some of the OCZ titanium is really good if you aren't overclocking. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

On to other things:
    I'm really confused with the latencies. I know that the first digit should be lower to get better performance (2, 2.5 ish). What do the other numbers mean? What sets of numbers should I look for?

Default Re: Which ram should I get?

You should probably go ahead and two 1 gig sticks if you plan on gaming at max settings. Even todays games, like BF2, will hicup with 1 gig at max settings.

OCZ makes some good RAM for a decent price. I actually run 2 gigs of their platinum and have had 0 problems.

Their Titanium looks good to me, good timings and a good price...you may want to hurry though, DRAM prices are supposed to be going back up.

The timings are 2-3-2-5 for both the Titanium and Platinum...I run mine at 2-2-2-5@2.8 volts along with a little overclocking.

The numbers are for CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS and are usually in order from most to least importance(a lower CAS timing is more significant than a low TRP or TRAS timing).

With AMD's integrated memory controller the timings are not as important when compared to P4 chips. Although going from the slowest to the fastest timings will give you about 10FPS(AMD) and 20-30(P4) on average but does vary from system to system and game to game.

Nah. Just get 1GB dual channel and save some money. Wait until the new AMD socket comes out, and then get some DDR2/3. That's what I'm going to do. I just run 1GB dual channel OCZ Platinum. Even with my 7800GT I still can't play on everything ultra high, but most games now are very cpu limited. That's why I say wait for the new AMD cpu's. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy997@yahoo.com
    I intend to use this ram later on for an extreme computer that I am planning to build in the future. So, it needs to be some good stuff. I would like to get a dual channel 1gig kit (2x512) of pc3200 (DDR 400).
    When in the future? It should be less than six months before socket M2 is out, which uses DDR2. Unless you intend on building a new machine fairly soon, I'd advise against buying with the intention of using the RAM in a new system.

On to other things:
    I'm really confused with the latencies. I know that the first digit should be lower to get better performance (2, 2.5 ish). What do the other numbers mean? What sets of numbers should I look for?
    tRCD and tRP are the other two numbers, and they should also be lower. If you see advertised tRAS, ignore it. You can run that at pretty much any setting, and the best one is dependent on the motherboard chipset. The other numbers should just be as low as possible.

5. Default Re: Which ram should I get?

I plan on building a new one in about a year or so. I just want something that I can put into the new computer without any problems. Which ddr will the new boards have? DDR2 or DDR 3?

DDR2 atm and should be around about May-June this year so just get some reasonable PC3200 for it.

I plan on building a new one in about a year or so. I just want something that I can put into the new computer without any problems.
    No can do, unless AMD gives us a happy surprise by putting a DDR/DDR2 hybrid controller on the M2 Athlon 64s. Intel is already completely converted to DDR2 and AMD will be by the time you build your computer (at least in theory). Just buy a couple cheap CAS 2.5 sticks now.

Thread Information