Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DUal channel ram upgrade questions

Default DUal channel ram upgrade questions

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1><TABLE id=F0010dlProductModel style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=text_12 id=Table12 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=170 height=1></TD><TD background=/PCCWeb/images/linedot_1.gif height=1>I have 2 512 sticks of ram and no more slots so I am going to swith to dual channel 1gig sticks. Tiger Direct is offering this deal (see below) but only till Sunday. Should I go for it? Or should I get the OXZ listed at the bottom for $30 more? Is dual channel the same as 2 identical sticks of memory???

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>This is my mother board running in a P4 3.2 gig cpu.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE class=text_12 id=Table12 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top height=8><TD vAlign=top width=170 rowSpan=2></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>P25G (V3.0)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center height=20>Socket 478 and FSB800/DDR400 MB</TD></TR><TR><TD>P25G is one of the most advance and unique modules of PCCHIPS production. It can also support latest Intel Pentium 4, HT & Prescott processor, up to 800MHz FSB, DDR400, two serial ATA and 8 USB 2.0 ports for features. With embedded UniChromeII 3D Graphics, 64M share memory and one AGP8X slot, all these advance supports, we believe your computer can run with best performance and bring you the great value and enjoyment.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ultra DDR Memory
    Limited Time Price Break!
    Best Performing Memory in the Business!
    Quick Access - Top Quality 2048MB DDR Memory

High-performance computing requires high-performance memory. For those who have been waiting for faster access times—crucial for high-level graphics programs—Ultra DDR memory maximizes system operation, and lets you get the most from your applications.
    If you're looking for the best DDR memory, at the best prices, Ultra is the only choice. We highly recommend and proudly present Ultra memory.

<?xml version="1.0"?><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- function ShowDef(theURL,Id,winName) { def = window.open(theURL,"Definition",'scrollbars=yes,wi dth=400,height=200'); with(def.document) { write('<title>Definition for ' + winName + '</title>'); write('<link rel=\\"stylesheet\\" href="/css/global.css" type="text/css">'); write('<body style="margin:0">'); write('<table width="100%" class="arial2" cellpadding="4">'); write('<tr height="17" bgcolor="#C9D3F7">'); write('<td>'); write('' + winName + ':'); write('</td>'); write('</tr>'); write('<tr>'); write('<td>'); write('
    '); write('</td>'); write('</tr>'); write('</table>'); write('<scr' + 'ipt>'); write('txt = opener.document.all.def' + Id + '.value;'); write('document.all.def.innerHTML = txt;'); write('</scr' + 'ipt>'); close(); } } //--></SCRIPT><STYLE type=text/css>.evenrow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff}.oddrow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff}.techspec { FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}.techvalue { FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}.techspecFeature { COLOR: #000099; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}A.techspecFeature:hover { COLOR: #cc0000; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}</STYLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=techspec><TD colSpan=2 height=17>Specifications

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width=26></TD><TD class=techspec vAlign=top noWrap height=15> <INPUT id=def168 type=hidden name=def168>Memory Size </TD><TD class=techvalue align=left>2 x 1024MB</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1></TD><TD bgColor=#f5f5f5 colSpan=2 height=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width=26></TD><TD class=techspec vAlign=top noWrap height=15> <INPUT id=def169 type=hidden name=def169>Memory Speed </TD><TD class=techvalue align=left>400MHz PC3200</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1></TD><TD bgColor=#f5f5f5 colSpan=2 height=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width=26></TD><TD class=techspec vAlign=top noWrap height=15> <INPUT id=def170 type=hidden name=def170>Memory Type </TD><TD class=techvalue align=left>DDR</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1></TD><TD bgColor=#f5f5f5 colSpan=2 height=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width=26></TD><TD class=techspec vAlign=top noWrap height=15> <INPUT id=def173 type=hidden name=def173>Pins </TD><TD class=techvalue align=left>184</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1></TD><TD bgColor=#f5f5f5 colSpan=2 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

OCZ 2048MB PC3200 Gold Gamer eXtreme DDR Memory
    The new OCZ PC-3200 2GB Gold Edition was developed with gamers’ distinctive needs in mind. The latest generation of PC games, such as Battlefield 2, Half Life 2 and Doom 3, requires large capacity memory to deliver the most powerful, stable system performance. The PC-3200 Gold Edition is the ultimate memory solution for contemporary graphic-intensive PC titles and provides unsurpassed reliability and performance to unleash every graphic possibility.

The new OCZ PC-3200 1024MB Gold GX Edition utilizes the latest OCZ heatspreader design. XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) Heatspreaders allow increased ventilation and heat dissipation due to an innovative honeycomb design providing more direct access to the actual memory ICs.

2. Default Re: DUal channel ram upgrade questions

Well, the OCZ ram on the bottom is dual channel. I assume that you are going for 2gigs. What ram are you trying to compare it to? You've only got one listed. Dual channel is the same as two identical sticks. Especially in this price range, it must be dual channel. I hope you are going to be overclocking. This ram is meant to be overclocked.

Anyways, why are you using Tiger Direct? USE NEWEGG. Newegg is 5 bucks less than Tiger even before the $40 mail in rebate! Newegg wants 5 bucks for 3rd day UPS while Tiger wants $12 for standard. I just bought 1gig of Corsair XMS on Sunday from Newegg and it came on Wednesday. Use the EGG. I get all my stuff from there faster and cheaper than everyone else.

Default Re: DUal channel ram upgrade questions

Thanks alot, Tiger was the only one I knew. I was comparing the ram to the Ultra listed right above it. As far as overclocking, I was going to see if I even needed to overclock before messing with it. I have never really overclocked, but I want the option if I need to in the future. Right now I have corsair 2 x 512 dual running ram. I could have sold you mine! I think Im goin to go with the ocz anyway. Do you have to turn on a dual channel feature or is it in effect once you install the memory?

4. Default Re: DUal channel ram upgrade questions

Most of the time, dual channel is automatically turned on in the bios. I'm not really sure, though.

The OCZ ram you chose is for very serious overclocking. If you are just thinking about overclocking, I probably wouldn't go with it. This stuff is way to expensive to be using without overclocking. It's up to you, but I wouldn't go for something that serious and not overclock it.

From what I've seen though, to get 2 x 1 gig sticks of ram its going to cost me at least $175. Why not spend an extra 25 bucks and get the overclockable ram?

6. Default Re: DUal channel ram upgrade questions

Hey, $25 bucks is $25 bucks. If you can afford it, go for it.

I'm in a predicament and I need the $25. Don't ask

Thanks for the advice, take it easy.

Thread Information