Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: single channel vs. dual channel

Default single channel vs. dual channel

When i start my computer, i see that my memory is running as what is listed on my screen as "single channel". i am damn sure the ram i have can run as dual channel, which brings me to a couple questions...

A. Can Dual channel ram run as single channel?
    B. If so, which way is better and why?
    C. How do i run dual channel if mine is set to run in single channel

Default Re: single channel vs. dual channel

Ram in itself is not "dual channel" it is the configuration on the m/board that determines dual channel or not.

Dual channel is preferable (ensure your m/board supports dual channel)

The main requirements for dual channel are two (or 4) identical sticks of ram (though it has been know to work with "similar sticks"), in slots 0 & 2 or 1 & 3 (they're the same slots, some m/boards use different nomeculture)

The easiest way is to use the slots that are the same colour, most boards colour code their ram slots. Usually the slot closest to the cpu is slot 0 (or 1, depending on your board) use that and the next slot of the same colour to achieve dual channel (all of this is dependent on your board supporting dual channel of course)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Thread Information