Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Selecting SDRAM Upgrade

Default Selecting SDRAM Upgrade

I need help selecting SDRAM memory for my HP Pavilion Model 7955 which uses PC 133 SDRAM. I currently have 512MB (two 256MB sticks which occupy 2 of my 3 DIMM memory slots). I'd like to increase this memory to 1GB (that's the max for my computer) and I need advice. I note that PC133 SDRAM memory comes in different types, like CL 2 or 3, unbuffered (and I suppose buffered?), non-parity (and parity?), ECC (or not), etc. I need advice on exactly what I need to look for and purchase. By the way, HP will charge me to talk to them about this and they'll still be winging it (my own experience). So, I think you guys can help me much better. Do I need to be concerned about putting new memory in any particular slot? Would a third 256MB stick help that much (giving me 768MB)? Would it be worth the effort/money or should I just go for the 1GB? To save money, should I go with two 512MB sticks or would one 1GB stick function better than two 256MB sticks? Is the Cas Latency that important? Is CL=2 better than CL=3, if so why? Any help or comments would be most appreciative. If I forgot about anything important, let me know....I need advice before I go shopping. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Selecting SDRAM Upgrade

You'll basically want to match the RAM you've got as far as CL/ECC/unbuffered goes. You'll be fine sticking either the 256 or 512 in there.
    ECC should be able to be turned off (if required) in the BIOS. CL2 is faster than CL3, but if your current RAM is CL3 then don't waste your $$ getting CL2. CL or CAS Latency, in laymens terms, is how many clock cycles it takes to access RAM, so CL2 will access in 2 clock cycles, where CL3 will take that extra clock.

BTW, what OS are you running?? I ask because anything before XP/2000 will have problems with anything over 768megs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrucialTech
    Yes, a bit cheaper in the UK.

Since you're with Crucial Memory, tell me, why is the price of PC 133 SDRAM staying so high? Seems it never goes down in price and I never see SDRAM on sale. This amazes me.

It shouldn't really amaze you as SDRAM is basically obsolete now and the price of it will only go up just like all the rest of the other obsolete memory types.

You're so right mate.....

Thread Information