Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DDR or DDR2 SDRAM for my new build?

Default DDR or DDR2 SDRAM for my new build?

Is DDR2 THAT much better than DDR?

I purchased two (2) sticks of Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR SDRAM Memory (KVR400/512R, PC3200/PC2700/PC2100) on sale for $30/stick after rebates a couple of weeks ago at CC.

Now the Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR2 SDRAM Memory (KVR533D2/512R, PC2-4200) is on sale for $35/stick after rebates.

My question: Is there enough difference in DDR and DDR2 that I should return the DDR and buy the DDR2? I'm buying hardware as it goes no sale so I'm in no real big hurry.

I've not opened the first memory and can return it easily.

Default Re: DDR or DDR2 SDRAM for my new build?

I would recommend using whatever your motherboard supports. DDR memory is a 184-pin module while DDR2 memory is a 240-pin module. They are not interchangeable. AFAIK, motherboards use one or the other.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by burnselk
    Is DDR2 THAT much better than DDR?

I purchased two (2) sticks of Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR SDRAM Memory (KVR400/512R, PC3200/PC2700/PC2100) on sale for $30/stick after rebates a couple of weeks ago at CC.

Now the Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR2 SDRAM Memory (KVR533D2/512R, PC2-4200) is on sale for $35/stick after rebates.

My question: Is there enough difference in DDR and DDR2 that I should return the DDR and buy the DDR2? I'm buying hardware as it goes no sale so I'm in no real big hurry.

I've not opened the first memory and can return it easily.
    You cannot just swap memory, as your motherboard only supports one size/make and not the other. It's not gasoline; where you get three choices and they'll all work. DDR will fit, and DDR2 will not.

But to answer your question: DDR2 is better.

DDR2 isn't that much better, but that's not the point. All of the new platforms use it. There's absolutely no reason to get a new system on a platform that uses DDR.

Thread Information