Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a third stick of ram into my machine?

Default Re: Adding a third stick of ram into my machine?

Quote Originally Posted by tuxfreak
    it will be fine, the only thing that will happen is that the DDR333 will run at the same speed as the DDR266 since RAM will only run as fast as the slowest piece

I'm going to have to disagree slightly with Yawgm0th on the video card. Most, if not all, MMORPG's performace depend much more on RAM than they do beefy video cards. Even World of warcraft, with it's stellar graphics, places a higher demand on the RAM than the GPU.

edit: out of curiousity, i looked up planetside and found this, which states: so upgrading to 1 GB of RAM would indeed be my first suggestion if you are at all serious about this game.
    You're right that they do, but 512MB is an acceptable amount of RAM for modern games. A GeForce 4 is not an acceptable video card for the majority of modern games and the majority of those made in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You're right that they do, but 512MB is an acceptable amount of RAM for modern games. A GeForce 4 is not an acceptable video card for the majority of modern games and the majority of those made in the last few years.
    I also agree. Video cards are the most important aspect for gaming. Besides, you can upgrade to a second hand card rather cheaply too.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    A GeForce 4 is not an acceptable video card for the majority of modern games and the majority of those made in the last few years.
    planetside is a dx 8 game, and the Ti4200 was a pretty good dx8 card

planetside is the only game being discussed here. His card far excedes the recommended specs for the game. This game is RAM intensive. Stop trying to get him to waste his money on needless upgadaes. If he was talking about playing HL2-E1 it would be a different story, but he's not.
    Last edited by tuxfreak; 08-12-2006 at 12:29 AM.
    #

Right I got my 512meg stick of ram today but I'm now experiencing some serious problems with my computer. I bought a DDR PC3200 unbuffered, put the stick in and the memory test says that is fine but my computer keeps crashing to a blue screen very regularly. Also if I try and run any game or app it will crash out back to windows or to the blue error screen. This is the message I get when trying to run Planetside and it crashes to the blue error screen.

Stop nv4_disp:dll - Address BFB45F37 base at DateStamp 44bc3a66

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help and reccomendations so far I will look into upgrading my card very soon!

Prolly could be any number of things. The nv_4 is part of your video driver (although not necessarily the real problem). Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers. Is the extra RAM showing up properly in your "my computer" properties page? Is there another computer to test the new RAM in? I failed to see the power supply specs for you machine. It is remotely possible that the extra RAM was enough to push your PSU to its' limit.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 08-13-2006 at 07:07 AM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Have checked the hardware section and it says that I have a gig of ram so that is correct. Have also reinstalled video drivers. Not sure how to get those specs you wanted to check so if you could let me know! This is the information I can when the computer blue screens when I'm not trying a game. Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF658EB18, 0x00000000) Win32k.sys - address BF8332AC base at BF800000, DateStamp 4010853b

Go into your BIOS and try increasing the timings and voltage on your RAM. Trying running the new stick just on it's own. Most importantly, if you have a floppy drive you need to use memtest86+ to test the RAM. A link to it is located in my signature.

Right I took out the old ram and the new stick works fine on it's own. I then added one of the 256meg sticks and it works fine. Unfortunately when I add the third stick it still seems a bit unstable. I think perhaps I may just have to plump for 700meg which is still and improvement and has vastly improved my gameplay experience in Planetside!

just to rule out anything else, plug in the seemingly unstable 256MB stick into the first RAM slot by itself and run memtest86+ for a couple hours, or overnight

if it doesn't detect any errors, you have something else going on
    #

Ok a bit confused, have downloaded memtest. Do I have to burn the iso to a disc or is there a version that runs with out doing that?

Oh just read the person above's comment again, and I don't have a floppy drive :$
    Last edited by tage; 08-16-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information