Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte Ga-965p-ds3

Default Gigabyte Ga-965p-ds3

I just bought one of these off a colleague. Anyone know from experience what a good choice in ram for it would be? I'm thinking more in terms of what is cheap/cost-effective and stable than what is fast (although cheap, stable and fast are definitely a plus!).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Default Re: Gigabyte Ga-965p-ds3

ds3 doesnt like D9s ver much ;)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161030
    these should do well cheap and fast

Thanks Grim Reaper - it looks good, although the lack of reviews from newegg customers is preventing me from buying right away..

Another question... is it possible to use memory that has a greater voltage than 1.8v on this board? I think I read in another post that you could do so by first using 1.8v sticks to boot up, and then change the voltage in the BIOS, but does that apply for this mobo as well? If so, any tips on how to do this? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard if this were the case..

umm not really all that depends on the SPD programming of the memory sticks that you are using..

lets say the sticks are rated for PC8000 at 2.2V @ 4-4-4.. then they need 2.2V to run at the rated speeds.. but most of these sticks would have a SPD programmed at lose latency and at much lower speeds so that they can boot up on all most any motherboard

the problem you are refering to is more related to the ram and not the motherboard.

if I may say so why are you even thinking of a ds3 now? there are soo many better boards out there

Quote Originally Posted by Grim-Reaper View Post
    umm not really all that depends on the SPD programming of the memory sticks that you are using..

lets say the sticks are rated for PC8000 at 2.2V @ 4-4-4.. then they need 2.2V to run at the rated speeds.. but most of these sticks would have a SPD programmed at lose latency and at much lower speeds so that they can boot up on all most any motherboard

the problem you are refering to is more related to the ram and not the motherboard.

if I may say so why are you even thinking of a ds3 now? there are soo many better boards out there

THere are? I can think of a few that are as good as and if anything, slightly better, but the DS3 is one of the best 965P boards available. And where you got the idea that they don't like D9 ram is another thing. I have a DQ6 and it LOVES D9 ram. I've never had any boot issues and other than price I highly recommend this board. Running my E6300 @ 3.25 GHz 24/7 465FSB with the ram @ 465MHz (D9GMH to be exact).

ALL memory is SPD timed now to boot up at lower voltages. THat was an issue that was dealt with 4-6 months ago.

If you plan on overclocking DO NOT get cheap ram. I repeat, DO NOT get cheap ram. It will hold you back. If you get an X6800 then you could get by with cheap ram, but with the E6300/E6400 it is almost a necessity to have good ram because most of these boards will not go below 1:1 for the ram dividers. I don't know where grim got his info, but it sure is way off base.

ANd I forgot to mention, DO NOT go by Newegg reviews. Most of them are by people that never bought the hardware and they are children looking for attention.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Wow, Casecutter, you're good.. being the newb that I am, I have always taken those newegg reviews as the authority. Thanks for the headsup!

Anyways, I bought the ds3 off a friend after seeing good reviews about overclockability for the core 2 duos. I actually bought the mobo with the e6600 in mind, but after taking a look at the pitiful funds I have in my checking, I opted for the e6300 (which I was able to get a deal for 150 off craigslist). btw, that's cool you have the same cpu as I do, casecutter!

Thanks for the info about SPD programming, casecutter and grimreaper, although regretably it has left me with another question:

How do I know whether or not the memory is timed to boot up at a lower voltage? and if I use a set of ram that has a higher voltage than my motherboard will allow, will anything short out?

Again, thank you for all your patience! :)

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    THere are? I can think of a few that are as good as and if anything, slightly better, but the DS3 is one of the best 965P boards available. And where you got the idea that they don't like D9 ram is another thing. I have a DQ6 and it LOVES D9 ram. I've never had any boot issues and other than price I highly recommend this board. Running my E6300 @ 3.25 GHz 24/7 465FSB with the ram @ 465MHz (D9GMH to be exact).

ALL memory is SPD timed now to boot up at lower voltages. THat was an issue that was dealt with 4-6 months ago.

If you plan on overclocking DO NOT get cheap ram. I repeat, DO NOT get cheap ram. It will hold you back. If you get an X6800 then you could get by with cheap ram, but with the E6300/E6400 it is almost a necessity to have good ram because most of these boards will not go below 1:1 for the ram dividers. I don't know where grim got his info, but it sure is way off base.

ANd I forgot to mention, DO NOT go by Newegg reviews. Most of them are by people that never bought the hardware and they are children looking for attention.
    its still an issue. Lot of memory dont have EPP so you cant boot up right away on any 680 motherboard.
    yeah most of the issues with the 965/975 has been fixed.

second being the DS3 not liking D9 check around and see what you get.. DS3 hates d9's
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=85

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=1938801
    Does it overclocks better and is D9 memory issue solved ?
    Major issues with DS3 and D9's

While you might not agree with me, I would hardly use XS as a resource for memory incompatibility. Those guys are too busy looking for internet glory and making their e-***** bigger than trying to figure out why stuff does not work. The other majority are noobs looking for help and everyone knows that unless you have a high post count on XS, you will not get any help. As you might guess, I do not like XS or their pompous holier than thou attitudes. There are many more reliable sites out there that you can get genuine help from besides XS.

All that being said, I know of 3 people personally running DS3 motherboards and D9 ram. Also, all the best overclocking ram is made with D9 ram. Memory that was released last summer may not have proper profiles, but by September, the memory companies had remedied this issue. Technically, there is no issue since the only thing you need to do is boot up with 1 stick/1 generic stick, raise the voltage and away you go. There was never a problem with 965/975 boards with the memory, just problems with the SPD timings on the ram prevented them from working properly. This is not an issue anyone will have if they buy memory today. My motherboard (DQ6) is very much like the DS3 and it LOVES D9 ram and I never even had issues booting with 3 different types of D9 ram. I have personal experience with it and I would not recommend it if it was not going to work.

On a side note, what hardware do you run Grim? It would give me some insight as to how you seem to feel this old issue is still a major one. If you show me some links from Anandtech or Extreme Overclocking Forums or ANYWHERE besides XS about these current issues, I may concur.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I should have asked this earlier, but what is D9?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information