Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Opinion Memory Voltage

Default Opinion Memory Voltage

I've seen where people will state that their ram will run at rated speed at say 1.95v but set the voltage at the maximum suggested by the manufacture, say 2.1v to be safe or just set it at the suggested max and forget it. I was under the impression, less voltage, less heat, good. I've a board that overvolts the ram by .08v +/- so setting 2.1 would actually be overvolting, so being safe, would be using as little voltage in BIOS as possible for a stable condition. I'm sure that ram manufactures take into account board differences when setting their suggested max, but extreme conditions will still exist. I've some Crucial ram rated 800 C4 at 2.2v so in the board above I'd be pumping 2.28v to them and would probably create a condition of premature failure with some sticks; experience by some with this board and ram. My thoughts are that ram should be treated just like the CPU using as little voltage as need for 24/7 stability.
    CPU-Q6600 B3 Lapped 9X333, ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT w/OCZ Freeze
    MB-GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
    MEM-3 GIGs Crucials
    VIDEO CARD-EVGA 8800 GTS 512
    HD-BOOT WD1600AAJS SATA2
    HD-2x WD5000ABYS SATA2 (RAID 0)
    HD-WD 3200JB 8MB IDE
    DVD-RW-PIONEER DVR-112DBK IDE
    FLOPPY-SONY 1.44MB
    CASE-APEVIA MX-PLEASURE (3x80mm IN & 1x120mm OUT)
    PS-ANTEC NEO POWER 650W
    SOUND-SB EXTREMEGAMER FATAL1TY PRO W/ I/O UPGRADE KIT
    TV-HAUPPAUGE WINTV-PVR USB 2.0
    OS-MICROSOFT WINDOWS MCE 2005 / SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Opinion Memory Voltage

The Spec on ram stickers is the max Warrantied allowed and it does not mean at all they need this to run stable at any speed, just that they have been tested to for sure run at stated timings and speed and those voltages, and that that is the max allowed under warranty

Crucial Die often, over or undervolted. It is best if you can to use them at 2.1 or less. Memtest86+ is the only way to know what they will run stable at, but yes lowest you can do and be stable is better

Thread Information