Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAM for GA-X48-DS4 mobo?

Exclamation RAM for GA-X48-DS4 mobo?

I am getting a GA-X48-DS4 motherboard and I don't know which RAM to get. I went to the gigabyte site and looked at the RAM chart but I didn't understand it, I went to shopping sites and posted the module P/N and nothing comes up, am I using the chart wrong?

I know it says it takes 1.8v RAM, but there isn't a wide selection of 1.8v so does it matter if I get a 2.0v-2.1v RAM, would the motherboard have any trouble using that? Or would I need to change anything in the bios?

And is there a particular brand of RAM that works best?

Thanks?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: RAM for GA-X48-DS4 mobo?

Almost all ram will boot at 1.8V so you can get Any 1.8-2.X ram. You will be fine.

I would suggest Mushkin or G.Skill or GEIL brands

And yes you will need to manually set the voltage but most all ram will start with 1.8V and then you just change it to the spec on the ram.

Should you get some 2.1 or whatever voltage and it seems to not start just remove all but one stick and it will boot, then make the voltage changes needed in the BIOS and shut down and put in the other stick and reboot.

You will be fine as most ALL ram follow the DDR2 JEDEC standard, which means it must have a profile that starts at 800Mhz with 555-15 timings at 1.8V. It is up to the user to enter different timings/speeds and voltages

Okay thanks for replying, well I found the RAM I had and these are the specs for it
    mushkin, 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    cas latency 5
    timing 5-5-5-15
    voltage 2.0v-2.1v

I haven't used the RAM yet the mobo says it can go to RAM that is 1200mhz, but I already have 2 sticks of these ones. So all I need to is install one stick then change the voltage in the bios, turn it off install the next stick and be good to go, but how do I know if I need to change the timing?

Yes those will work fine. You will only need to do the one stick method if two wont start, but I guess it could not hurt to do right off the bat the way you mentioned.

You will know if you need to change speeds by what will be show in the BIOS and or CPU-z, you will though anyway so expect it

Smile Re: RAM for GA-X48-DS4 mobo?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

Thread Information