Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory trouble - Crucial

Default Memory trouble - Crucial

OK short background on situation. I originally bought a Core2 E7200, Gigabyte P35-DS3R and 1GB X2 Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 memory. After a few weeks the system started getting random BSOD's. After trying different memory (Kingston) and testing I thought I had narrowed it down to bad MOBO. I exchanged the MOBO for a MSI P7N SLI Platinum.

This new build worked fine for a few days then randomly started with the BSOD's followed by failing memory tests (memtest-86 and Eurosoft PC-Check)

I have tried different memory voltages. It seems like everytime I change something it works fine for a few hours then starts up again regardless of what setting is changed.

I have narrowed it down to this:

If I run a single memory stick it will pass memtest all day long. As soon as I add a second (single or dual channel) memtest throws up errors within first 5 mins of running.

System Specs - No overclocking

MSI P7N SLI Platinum
    Core2 E7200 2.53GHZ
    2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 2X 1GB
    8600GTS (Not the greatest I know but it was free from a buddy)
    Antec 500W PSU
    Sony DVDRW
    WDC 320 SATA + WDC 250 SATA (Notebook drive)

Current MOBO settings -

D.O.T. Control - Disabled
    Intel EIST - Disabled
    System Clock Mode - Auto
    Adjust CPU Ratio - 9.5
    Advance DRAM Configuration - Auto for all
    CPU Voltage - 0.0000V
    Memory Voltage - 2.20
    VTT FSB - 1.200
    NB - 1.24
    SB Core Power - 1.5
    Spread Spectrum - Enabled

Please help! After building many systems this is the only one to ever give me trouble!

Default Re: Memory trouble - Crucial

If your Crucial memory has failed Memtest86, then it is likely the culprit. FYI... Crucial is not the company it used to be. For some reason (probably greed if I were to make a guess), they have been bottom tier in quality for a few years now. Might see if you can RMA the modules.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I would no questions asked but why am I able to run on one stick just fine but as soon as a second is added it freaks out and starts failing like crazy? That tells me it is not bad RAM.

If one stick is faulty it will cause problems when you attempt to run the system with a dual-channel memory configuration. Also, if both are serviceable but one is just barely so, then trying to run the modules in dual-channel may cause probelsm since one of the sticks is not able to properly sync itself with the other. Try a different pair of (matching) memory modules and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it will be a mainboard issue. If it mysteriously goes away, your memory is the issue. My bet is that it will be the memory rather than the mainboard, but that test should tell the story for certain.
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So which ram are you using now?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Well the DS3R is long gone. I argued with the retailer I purchased from until they exchanged it for the MSI. After failing 2 different brands of RAM I really didn't feel like the annoyance anymore. This MSI board seems solid other than the memory still not working.

To answer your question I have a single stick of the Crucial running now - no issues. I can swap it out for the other stick and it runs fine. The issue is when I run them together. They are matching 1 GB sticks.

I have tried auto for the DRAM timings and also manually set 4-4-4-12.

Well I cant help much with a MSI board, but sounds to me like one of the sticks is Dying if they are matched pairs you mean when you say "RunBoth"

But if you are trying to run 1GB crucial and 1GB kingston, then I expect issues.

You cannot mix ram as said above by Darthtanion, it just will not work. Most of the time, even 2 different models by the same company wont work well together. You must have matched ram to run Dual channel. And it is best to have matched ram even in single channal

No I understand not being able to run 2 different brands due to voltage, latency, etc...

Problem solved...had the tech helper at work ship out the memory to Crucial and I headed over to the store and picked up 2 gigs of Corsair memory which was on sale dirt cheap. I am running the memory test as we speak and it is already much further along than it ever got with the Crucial. I have learned a very long (2 month) and painful lesson. I am never buying Crucial memory again.

I really appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. I will continue to use this forum because of that and try to help everyone else out as much as possible.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Glad you got things squared away. And I agree... Crucial used to be one of the best brands of memory to buy, but no longer.
    My Toys

Nice to see you are up and running better!!!

Please feel free to post back anytime

Thread Information