Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Installing new memory

Default Installing new memory

I recently purchased a second hand pc off ebay. It has a 1.7GHz Celeron processor and 256mb RAM, with 2x 20GB hard drives. I decided it would be nice to upgrade the memory to 1GB, as I had let Crucial.com run their test on my rig and it told me what sort of memory was compatible and how much.
    I purchased the memory but when I installed the 2 512mb sticks, the pc gave 2-3 long bleeps and would not start. Is the memory faulty or were Crucial wrong?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Installing new memory

What PC is this, and what motherboard if you know? I will see if I can find you the beep codes.

In the meantime can you test this ram on another PC to be sure you did not get shipped DOA memory? It happens

What ram was in the PC, and what did you put in place of that exactly? Like speed rating and voltage wise I am asking here.

Hi,

Thanks for that. The motherboard is an Intel D845GRG and has a 1.7GHz Celeron installed. The memory that was in was 256mb of DDR PC 2100 (I think). The memory I was trying to install was hynix DDR PC 2100R 266MHz. Offhand I dont know the MHz of the existing memory. The case has a 300w PSU

Hope this helps

Incidentally, my other PC is a lot newer so reluctant to try in case I destroy something

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm well that should have for sure worked. Please test this ram in a different PC to be sure it is not DOA

Or you can also try one stick at a time in your system, if that will work. But I guess you would have to test it in another system to be sure.

If both are PC 2100 then you should be fine, but the default voltages may differ, did you look at this when you bought the ram?

Thread Information