Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.00B Vs. 2.00D @ 399 & 500 FSB ~ A Simple Strap Comparision

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default 2.00B Vs. 2.00D @ 399 & 500 FSB ~ A Simple Strap Comparision

I was asked to compare these two straps by a fellow user, and I have actually been meaning to do a test like this for a while now.

For a long time the common thought is that a lower strap choice then FSB used is or can be better. Yes, even I believe this to be true, but never actually spent anytime directly comparing then since P35 first came out. I have found that, in P45 at least, this is not such a large difference as it was in the past with such boards as 965P/X38/X48/P35. I do believe it does still hold true for boards older then P45, unsure as of yet, but don't quote me on any of this

Of course a lot of this is dependent on the actual memory used and your FSB. This is why I am comparing two FSB Speeds with both straps at 2.00. I will only be looking into the 2.00 multiplier today, testing the others is a larger chore as they cannot be directly compared due to the different multiplier values per each strap. I do find that the actual multiplier value plays a large part in proving if a lower strap is better, and of course tRD and voltages comes into play as well.

We know the B and D straps do not have the same available multipliers and some may prove to be better then others when it comes to a similar test. I find when using the 2.00 multiplier between the two (B/D) the differences are subtle in P45, at least in my small testing done for this post.

I can say when you jump to a different multiplier such as 2.40B or 2.66D the difference can be more visible, and tRD allowances are a bit looser than they are when you run 1:1 with the FSB. But directly comparing those can be questionable for sure, such as 3.20B Vs. 3.33D, due to the often differing FSB needed and the tRD's allowed. P45 is Very tricky when it comes to tRD, unlike P35

Keep in mind these comparison is ONLY for 2.00B Vs. 2.00D, with the same settings used per test except for the Memory Multiplier/Strap. tRD of 10 was used for the 500 FSB tests for simplicity reasons.

I can say if you are running 500 FSB then you are better off to use the D Strap so that you do not need to apply the extra voltages needed to run B Strap Multi's and lower tRD's. The D Strap will do just fine in P45 and run a low tRD with lower voltages at 500+ FSB then it would take to run the B Strap Multi's

System Used:
    GA-EP45-DS4P Provided by Gigabyte
    Intel Xeon E3110 3GHz C0
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400 4x1GB Provided by Crucial (Review Here If Interested)
    2 x Sapphire Radeon Toxic HD3870 512MB
    Ultra X3 850W PSU

Windows Vista Business Edition x64 SP1

Loosing Strap is in BLUE

Winning Strap is in RED

2.00B Vs. 2.00D @ 399 FSB tRD 7

2.00B Click Images to Enlarge

2.00D Click Images to Enlarge

2.00B Vs. 2.00D @ 500 FSB tRD 10

2.00B Click Images to Enlarge

2.00D Click Images to Enlarge

So...... What does this testing show?

Well, I think it shows that B and D straps are not as different as one would believe from past knowledge, at least for the P45 chipset. It looks to be that at 500 FSB the 2.00D strap is the obvious winner, things may differ of course with different voltages and tRD Settings. At 399 FSB the 2.00B strap is clearly the winner even with the low tRD used for both straps.

Of course for that extra Mhz or two, a lower strap may prove to be better for sure, it all depends on the memory itself, memory amount/configuration at hand, and all other settings the user is willing (Voltages) or able to use.

As said above, tRD and voltages do make a large difference in deciding what to use or what is even possible to use, as does the overall speed of the ram and FSB, but I see little difference in P45 Straps at basic settings. Of course each user should do his or her own test per their hardware and respective settings, but looks to be a very close race either way. At least it appears to be this way for P45 on the 2.00B or 2.00D Strap.

I think this test partially shows that "maybe" you should use a strap designed for the FSB you are using, but of course there are SO MANY Variables that could throw this all off track and it could go either way for anyone at anytime.

And it all means........... What?

It means you really should do your own personal testing so you can see what is best for your hardware at the settings you are running, and then think about if you need or want to push voltages or loosen timings to run through another set of tests.

All setups are different so this is by no means a constant or given, so please by all means do your own personal testing to decide what is best for you and yours!

Disclaimer:
    These tests were quickly ran at random settings for simplicity purposes, this is by no means a "Factual" or "Proven" set of findings, just a simple comparison. This test also does not show the best possible outcome of either strap, meaning this does not show what you you may be able to run if you spent some time with both. Again just a simple comparison

I am an end user just like you, so please leave only constructive comments should you decide to reply. Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-19-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Default Re: 2.00B Vs. 2.00D @ 399 & 500 FSB ~ A Simple Strap Comparision

Thank you the test!

I think the minimal difference is in inside measurement error.
    For example try to run twice an everest test in any settings, in any systems and see the differences.

(Sorry for my English.)

I ran each test about 10 times for each strap, the results were always the same winner and loser. Of course the scores differed each time, but the clear winner and loser was always the same, as I presented above

OK

I found a difference.
    With 500 fsb, 2D, there is double boot issue.

kick is offline Senior Member

Then again it could be memory dependent.That mem has epp for 400 and 500 yeh?.
    Maybe 800 specific mem works better on B and 1066 specific on D whatever the fsb?
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Yes tlac, with different FSB and strap/multi choices you will need to use different amounts of voltages/timings to get things stable. And keep in mind more voltage is not always best when it comes to P45 chipset

Ya Kick, some ram act different that is for sure. Yes those have 400/500 SPD tables but I don't think the SPD has much to do with it (unless you use SPD/Auto, then ?) aside from the manufacturer testing it to those specs though. I have some Mushkin that work just fine on the B or D Strap at any FSB, and some other Mushkin that just will not at certain freq.

I think it is just all about what IC chips are used in the memory decides if and how it will react on varying straps at certain speeds. Some will run 500 FSB with B or D, others will not run B over 400 FSB. It all just depends on the ram, so you are right on that aspect for sure!

I went back and tried D multiplier on my memory,from your tests.I did manage to get 9 Gb/s bandwidth (synthetic on Sandra) at 500 fsb.First time ive seen that.
    The only problem is its not stable at 500 for 24/7 testing.
    Still if I can get a good compromise fsb speed with higher bandwidth ill keep at it.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Are you talking about your G.Skills? Just wondered cause Crucial's I see 9000+ (Everest) across the board at many settings under 500 FSB, so it may just be your ram that is picky or not cooperating with you?

What is failing for you are 500 FSB? Could just be CPU or NB settings needing an adjustment?

Ahh its been running 500fsb for months now,diff voltages and timings as you say but on B multiplier stable.
    If I can get overall performance on D at 490+ stable as good as 500 on B ill switch to that (lower volts needed)
    Current Systems:

Ahh, well you may want to try lower voltages on D then you had been using for B at 500+ FSB, as higher voltages maybe what is causing the issues for you.

Also on D a higher tRD is needed than on B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information