Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Configurations

Default Memory Configurations

1. As you all know, the limitation of 32-bit OS is that it only supports max 4GB of memory. My motherboard has 4 memory slots (2 black & 2 yellow) each supporting a max 2GB. So installing two 2GB modules would be pointless, because of the OS limitations and I have a 512MB graphic card installed.

Two 1GB modules have occupied the yellow slots. If I want to increase my total memory to 3GB, can I just add a 1GB module on the third slot (1GB+1GB+1GB) or should I change the configuration to 2GB+1GB?

2. How significant is the performance increase (in any tasks, from productivity to gaming and entertainment) if I upgrade to memory modules with 1066MHz clock from 800MHz? 1066MHz is the max. clock my motherboard can support.

3. Is is worth it to buy memory modules with heatsink spreaders? I'm not doing any overcloking, but I do play a lot of demanding games for hours.

PedangGila is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Memory Configurations

1. As you all know, the limitation of 32-bit OS is that it only supports max 4GB of memory. My motherboard has 4 memory slots (2 black & 2 yellow) each supporting a max 2GB. So installing two 2GB modules would be pointless, because of the OS limitations and I have a 512MB graphic card installed.

True about 32-bit OS limit of 3GB although theoretically it can support 4GB ( 2^32) but the driver/software issues bogged and destroyed the idea. Max is 3GB or 3.12GB.

Two 1GB modules have occupied the yellow slots. If I want to increase my total memory to 3GB, can I just add a 1GB module on the third slot (1GB+1GB+1GB) or should I change the configuration to 2GB+1GB?

The problem is finding the same configuration especially the voltage and timing for each stick for 2+1 setting but there're more choices to make 1+1+1.

2. How significant is the performance increase (in any tasks, from productivity to gaming and entertainment) if I upgrade to memory modules with 1066MHz clock from 800MHz? 1066MHz is the max. clock my motherboard can support.

Not much there maybe 2-3 second faster or not at all since it's just 266Mhz but go for 1066Mhz if it's just $5 difference. Do remember that even with the right speed, 800 or 1066Mhz, there's compatibility issue in sense it might not goes well with your motherboard. It's a slim chance but when it does happen, poor you.

3. Is is worth it to buy memory modules with heatsink spreaders? I'm not doing any overcloking, but I do play a lot of demanding games for hours.

You can buy 2 normal memory stick vs only one with heat spreader. Even if you destroyed a stick or two of the cheap normal one, it's still cost saving to replace. Plus, you don't OC so don't bother much about micro heat management.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

So the RAM modules are necessarily need to be in pairs, right? e.g. 1 pair - two modules or 2 pairs - four modules. I can go for odd numbers?

Well, according to my motherboard's manufacturer Asus, the chipset usually only supports 800MHz clock, but thanks to their "Super MemSpeed Technology", the board can now 1066MHz. I guess there is a big possibility of incompatibility issue occurring.

PedangGila is offline Junior Member

You can go for odd number. You might want to ditch my previous comment about must have sticks with the same voltage and timing requirement since it's only my preference while really BIOS will manage that but like I said, be on look out for the compatibility issues.

Yes, sometimes people call 1066Mhz is an overclocked 800Mhz the same as 1600Mhz is really just an overclocked 1333Mhz module. So too AMD 3 cores was actually a mummified 4 cores. It's just stability that set the two apart.

I'm interested actually to see if your system can actually pull close to 3GB in CPU-Z or OS's system information tab out of 2GB+1GB, 1GBx3 or even 2x1GB + 2x512Mb configuration. I read achieving perfect 3GB with either one of above above config is quite impossible but who knows you can show us something different.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

Thread Information