Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Combining RAM/Issues after installing RAM

Default Combining RAM/Issues after installing RAM

Hello All,

I am new to the forums and I have a question about combining RAM with different latencies. I recently upgraded my computer so I now can dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7. I found 7 sluggish w/ my 2GB RAM so I purchased some RAM. I tried to find the same Corsair RAM that I was using, but I couldn't find anywhere to get it, so I got some decent looking Crucial RAM instead. I installed it and once I got into Windows I've had videos not working and audio crackling or plain refusing to play (in Winamp). I was wondering if it could because the timings of the new and old RAM are not the same?

The Corsair RAM has these timings: 2.0-3-2-6 @ 200 MHz, 2.5v
    The Crucial RAM has these timings: 3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz, 2.5v but runs
    2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz, 2.5v

Should I bother adjusting the timings in the BIOS? What suggested settings/timings should I use? Or should I just buy another pair of the Crucial RAM?

Thanks for your input. Any other information you need - just ask.

Matt

Oh, in case you need to know, my current system specs:
    ASUS A8N32sli Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4800+ CPU
    2GB (2x1GB Pair) Corsair XMS Pro CMX1024-3500LLPRO RAM (Old)
    2GB (2x1GB Pair) Crucial DDR PC3200 RAM (New)
    Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT PCIe Video Card
    Creative SoundBlaster Xi-Fi Audio Card
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD
    500GB Maxtor SATA HDD
    160GB Maxtor IDE HDD
    Last edited by OSUDragonMT; 10-26-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added additional info

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Combining RAM/Issues after installing RAM

It would save you some hassle and headache if you could afford another set of Crucial.

If not then you would set the Corsair to run at the same timings and it might be ok.

That board is very old though, so it may have a tough time running 4x1GB, and that could be the cause of the problems. It could also have similar problems with 2x2GB, so you may be better off buying a newer board if you can.

Other than the audio/video not working with all 4GB of RAM the computer was running fine. I think I'll just get more Crucial RAM and be done with it rather than try to mess around with anything. Also, it's weird I have had more trouble w/ audio with the Crucial RAM - I've had to re-install drivers a couple of times because they get corrupted somehow.

It's probably because your BIOS is not setting the voltage correctly, especially with 4GB.

You need to set the ram voltage, and increase Northbridge voltage as well for 4GB

I decided to buy a matching pair of RAM, but now I get BSODs with different STOP errors (x50 and xA, which indicate RAM might be bad). I've tried just the new and just the old pairs of Crucial RAM in DIMMs A1 and B1 and Windows boots just fine, but if I try both pairs I get the STOP messages. I have tried MemTest and I get 12,000+ errors. I think one of the DIMMs may be bad, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions??

I did try adjusting the North Bridge voltage and the DIMM voltage, but it too did not work. It froze my PC from booting and I had to clear CMOS to get it again. (Maybe due to trying to change timing to 1T instead of auto?)

I know others have had this problem, but so far it seems no one has a work around. I may have to sell one set of the Crucial and the Corsair RAM to try and recoup some of my money I just spent trying to upgrade :/
    Last edited by OSUDragonMT; 11-04-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Very unlikely you'll get 1T working with all DIMM slots populated using that board. In fact I'm 99.999% sure you won't on any socket 939 board without extreme luck. Yes, those AMD platforms do like 1T timings and it will boost performance much more than it does on current platforms, but if performance in a concern then clocking that CPU a little would more than make up for it.

Start by using overly loose timings at 2T and see if you can boot. From there adjust timings until you can't. At that point you should find out what is/was holding you back from using four sticks.

On some A64 systems I have worked on, HyperTransport was the issue. I believe that 1000MHz is the default. Lowering the multiplier a notch has helped me achieve stability many times, especially with large amounts of RAM (back 6-7 years ago 8GB was monsterous). You won't see any performance loss at all, even in synthetic tests until you dip below maybe ~750MHz. HT was way more bandwidth than those CPU's could use and was a key stability issue if over clocked too.

I have had luck on 939 platforms by setting a RAM divider. Not sure how it works on your ASUS, but on MSI 939 boards, rather than a ratio, it gave clock speed values that the RAM would run at if selected and using a standard base clock. On this platform you can also make the RAM run SLOWER than 1:1. Give a less than 1:1 ratio a try, decreasing the CPU multi and HT multi and raising the Base clock until the RAM is running at 200MHz (400 DDR). On my MSI I would need to set the RAM speed to 183MHz, then I would be able to increase the base clock to 217MHz before the RAM would be running at 200MHz. Same goes for the next multi down, which should be RAM = 166 @ 200 base clock allowing up to 234MHz with the RAM still in spec.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I'll try using my RAM in different combos and running MemTest+ to see if I get any errors. If I find that all DIMMs and sticks of RAM are good I will try my hand at adjusting the voltage.

What voltages do you think I should change, and to what values? I haven't overclocked before, so I have no idea where to start or what all of the settings are.

Thanks.

Set the ram voltage to 2.0, then test each stick one at a time with the latest Memtest86+

Just to let you know what's been going on concerning my RAM issues . . .

I've tested each pair using MemTest+ keeping them in dual channel configuration. All of them passed for all DIMMs, so I will start adjusting voltages and let you know how it goes from there.

Sounds like they are all healthy then, and as you planned you just need to tweak the voltages until you get things stable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information