Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    42

    Question Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    Hello everyone,

    One follow-up question I had related to memtest86+ (v.4.2). So far I've tested three 4GB sticks from my new build, memtest86+ correctly sees I have 4079MB of RAM in each case, and so far they have all passed. Now I'm on my last stick + last slot (decided to test sticks + slots at the same time). I noticed while it was running through each of the tests across the addresses, that after it's done testing the 2048-3064 range, that it jumps to 4096 - 5112?? Meanwhile it still shows it 4079MB as the total memory.

    Is that just a simply little coding bug, or is that an indication of another problem?



    Thanks much.
    ped
    Last edited by ped; 02-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    It could be a coding bug, or an incompatibility with some of your hardware, not sure? I know I suggested this program, so sorry it's already making you ask questions!

    That would be something best answered by the team over at their forum
    Memtest86+ Official forum

    I've never noticed it before, so it may be normal for some reason? I'll test myself tonight and pay attention to the test to see if I observe the same as you mention. Does it only happen with test 3# as shown in your image, or any test?

    It could be because it's a 32 bit program, so it may not be able to access more than 4GB minus reserved amount? I know a x64 version is coming very soon.

    *Edit*

    Found this directly related comment by one of the programmers, it's not exact but close, maybe they've just changed the area reserved for this. I'll let you know what I observe later tonight.
    The 4736MB upper limit is not incorrect, memory from ~4300-4096MB gets remapped to above 4096MB because that region is mapped to PCI/AGP/PCIe peripherals.
    http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/52...memtest-bad-or
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It could be a coding bug, or an incompatibility with some of your hardware, not sure? I know I suggested this program, so sorry it's already making you ask questions!

    That would be something best answered by the team over at their forum
    Memtest86+ Official forum

    I've never noticed it before, so it may be normal for some reason? I'll test myself tonight and pay attention to the test to see if I observe the same as you mention. Does it only happen with test 3# as shown in your image, or any test?

    It could be because it's a 32 bit program, so it may not be able to access more than 4GB minus reserved amount? I know a x64 version is coming very soon.
    *Edit*

    Found this directly related comment by one of the programmers, it's not exact but close, maybe they've just changed the area reserved for this. I'll let you know what I observe later tonight.

    4G memory - e820 bad, memtest bad or ???
    No worries at all about the recommandation, in fact switched over to it from another source that it was better. So you reinforced the solution. :)

    And thanks for that developer's quote. I think that may explain it quite well.
    To answer your questions:
    - It occured on every test
    - i even started it with a full bank of RAM - 16GB total. Whats happening is in this configuration it still skips the 3GB-4GB range, the next range is now 4-6 GB (instead of 4-5), and then after it scans 14-16GB, it does a scan of 16-17GB. Maybe the quote is the answer?

    Very interested to see if you see the same thing in the 3-4GB range.

    Do you recommend i still post my question on their developers forum?

    Cheers.

  4. #4
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    Ahh ok, well that's good to know! I just felt bad seeing you have issues after I just suggested for you to use it!

    I'll test later today about the memory skipping for you, just so we can be sure because I've never really noticed it myself I don't think, or if I did I didn't think much about it.

    I'll test though and let you know! I'll try with 2x2GB, 2x3GB, and 2x8GB just to see if it always happens. Yes, I'd still go ahead and ask in their forum, just to see if they also mention what I quoted from their forum.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh ok, well that's good to know! I just felt bad seeing you have issues after I just suggested for you to use it!

    I'll test later today about the memory skipping for you, just so we can be sure because I've never really noticed it myself I don't think, or if I did I didn't think much about it.

    I'll test though and let you know! I'll try with 2x2GB, 2x3GB, and 2x8GB just to see if it always happens. Yes, I'd still go ahead and ask in their forum, just to see if they also mention what I quoted from their forum.
    Ok i guess I'm more curious what you found in your test before I'll post. :)

    If not, will post later tonight if nothing else.

    Oh, BTW i ran a 22 hour test last night, 10 passes for the 16GB. So curious if anyone recommends a followup software to these tests. Maybe the windows version, also called memtest? Or should i be good barring the 3-4gb range discussion.
    Last edited by ped; 02-10-2012 at 04:05 PM.

  6. #6
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Thumbs up Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    You can download and view a short 39 second Memtest86+ v4.20 video that shows the typical memory range "skipping" with 4GB of more of memory on my P35-DS3L system.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2cktvscgtz0udkb

    You should stress test your system using Prime95 and/or HCI Memtest.
    With Prime95 I suggest running each of the tests (Blend, Small FFT, and Large FFT) for at least 6 - 12 hours or more. Longer tests are better.
    Download links are in the http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html thread.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    I have the same exact problem!!!
    My memtest skips 2gb-4gb region of the memory.
    When it does skips that portion, it flashes "relocated" message right next to it. Does your do that too?
    Have you found the solution to your problem by any chance?

  8. #8
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    If you look closely at the video, you will see that memory appears to be skipped from about 3500 - 4096, but the last portion of each test then appears to be testing memory addresses about 500MB higher than the memory's highest address space. This is not a program bug.

    @Iskaryotes
    If you are using the older Memtest, version 3.x program instead of using the Memtest86+ program, your problem is due to a bug in the older, original version that hasn't been upgraded for quite a while.
    I've never seen flashing "relocated" message using Memtest86+.
    We don't know anything about your computer hardware, so we can't advise you further.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    If you look closely at the video, you will see that memory appears to be skipped from about 3500 - 4096, but the last portion of each test then appears to be testing memory addresses about 500MB higher than the memory's highest address space. This is not a program bug.

    @Iskaryotes
    If you are using the older Memtest, version 3.x program instead of using the Memtest86+ program, your problem is due to a bug in the older, original version that hasn't been upgraded for quite a while.
    I've never seen flashing "relocated" message using Memtest86+.
    We don't know anything about your computer hardware, so we can't advise you further.
    I am actually using Memtest86+ program.
    Also, even the video shows "relocated" message. If you look REALLY closely between 15-16 sec of the video (top right, underneath "one's & zeros), you will see "relocated" message flash REALLY quickly.
    and that is what I am talking about.

  10. #10
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: Memtest86+ v.4.2 skipping last GB of ram?

    My own video proves me wrong
    The message flashes very quickly just as the test memory address range changes from "184 - 2048" to "2048 - 3583".
    If you're gonna be that picky, you should be an assembly language programmer.

    With 8gb of ram, the memory address test ranges are:
    _184 - 2048
    2048 - 3583
    4096 - 6144
    6144 - 8192
    8192 - 8704

    note:
    4096 minus 3583 = 513
    8704 minus 8192 = 512

    I'll leave it to an Intel memory specialist to explain why it works this way.
    I'm confident that Memtest86+ is testing all available memory.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •