Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which Memory stick should I get?

Default Which Memory stick should I get?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a new PC specifically for gaming, and am wondering which RAM should I get.

The components I'm getting are:
    R9 290 GPU
    i7 4790k CPU
    Asrock Extreme4 Mobo

Here's the list I'm looking at:
    Choose Memory - PCPartPicker Australia

Also this is the store I'm using since I can get a special price there:
    https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=9

I've set it specifically to 8GB DDR3-2400 CAS10, since a alot of the games I play are very CPU intensive
    and some not even multi core optimized, like mount & blade, total war, arma etc.

And higher frequency have shown to have a pretty big performance increase in some of the benchmarks
    for those games.

I'm wondering which one on that list provides the best performance? And also overclocking ability as well?
    Also which works better for the haswell refresh cpu I'm using?

As there's too many different brands like G.skill, Corsair etc. and even different versions like Tridant, Ripjaws etc.
    so it's pretty confusing.

So which one should be the best for my build? Appreciate any help in this matter!

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Which Memory stick should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by sapped View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a new PC specifically for gaming, and am wondering which RAM should I get.

The components I'm getting are:
    R9 290 GPU
    i7 4790k CPU
    Asrock Extreme4 Mobo

Here's the list I'm looking at:
    Choose Memory - PCPartPicker Australia

Also this is the store I'm using since I can get a special price there:
    https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=9

I've set it specifically to 8GB DDR3-2400 CAS10, since a alot of the games I play are very CPU intensive
    and some not even multi core optimized, like mount & blade, total war, arma etc.

And higher frequency have shown to have a pretty big performance increase in some of the benchmarks
    for those games.

I'm wondering which one on that list provides the best performance? And also overclocking ability as well?
    Also which works better for the haswell refresh cpu I'm using?

As there's too many different brands like G.skill, Corsair etc. and even different versions like Tridant, Ripjaws etc.
    so it's pretty confusing.

So which one should be the best for my build? Appreciate any help in this matter!
    High-profile RAM is mostly a gimmick. Any decent brand (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc.) at a decent speed (1333MHz plus) will do fine. I'm running KHX@1600MHz and my games run exactly the same when I overclock the lot to 2000MHz.
    So, best keep an eye on your wallet as a couple of frames per second aren't worth a couple of 100 bucks.

Are there certain ones that are better for different applications or they all the same? Like video editing vs. gaming?

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
    High-profile RAM is mostly a gimmick. Any decent brand (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc.) at a decent speed (1333MHz plus) will do fine. I'm running KHX@1600MHz and my games run exactly the same when I overclock the lot to 2000MHz.
    So, best keep an eye on your wallet as a couple of frames per second aren't worth a couple of 100 bucks.
    Most of the high-end RAM is the same since they often use chips from the same manufacturer with the same specs. Lower end RAM can use cheaper, less performing grade chips.
    I've ran tests with Kingston "value RAM" (cheap) and some of their HyperX RAM and the results are close. The KHX performs a bit faster (read: a couple of frames per second quicker in a game) and overclocks far better than the value RAM.
    If you don't have to keep an eye on your wallet, go for broke. When working with a tight budget, buy cheaper RAM from a decent brand...

Thread Information