Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Telstra CDMA coverage

I live in an eastern suburb of Brisbane (any further east and you'll end up in the water) :D , and my friend has a new Ericsson-Sony CDMA phone. I live 300 metres (as the crow flies) from the Telstra CDMA/GSM tower, and the reception is 1/5 bars inside my house :eek:

But the call quality is crystal clear - he says even on a 0 bar signal it sounds like talking on a normal landline phone. Does anybody have a CDMA phone that they can share their experiences with? I had always believed that GSM had better building penetration than CDMA....... my signal is stronger but his phone sounds better - am I going ?
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

From what I've experienced, only Telstra GSM has decent signal penetration in buildings. Optus and Voda so-so. CDMA does better with line of sight - eg. in the semi-outback where GSM reception is no more, you're more likely to get a signal.

Isn't CDMA an extension of the older analogue system?! I'm surprised the call quality is clearer.
    Onyx

TweakTown
    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx
    Isn't CDMA an extension of the older analogue system?! I'm surprised the call quality is clearer.

No - CDMA is a digital technology. Analogue was dumped because it chewed up too much bandwidth because calls were separated to avoid interference. The call capacity of CDMA is about 2-4 times that of GSM in a given spectrum.

And in Brisbane Hel$tra MoronNet has the worst inbuilding coverage - Optus and Vodafone do better (the afformentioned GSM tower gives 2 bar reception in my house - the Optus one is 2KM away and give 4/5 or 5/5 bar reception :)

'Telstra'
    'Penetration'

urgh, ive goosebumps already....

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0
    'Telstra'
    'Penetration'

urgh, ive goosebumps already....

I know what you're thinking............ :D :laugh:

Thread Information