Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Are Tel$tra and Optu$ creating a duopoly?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Tel$tra and Optu$ creating a duopoly?

I was just informed that as of the 1st of February I will be paying 25c per SMS message sent. This is the same rate as Tel$tra, and it is also for all messages sent, not successfully sent.

For those who don't know, in Australia we have 3 mobile phone carriers (that have their own network). Tel$tra is the 51% government owned carrier that hates competition. Optus came along to give the government a scare with lower rates. Vodafone tags along with the remainder of the subscribers.

Vodafone in AUS is in serious financial hardship. Both Tel$tra and Optu$ make billions of $$$ each year from their mobile phone services, and their pricing structures have seemed to mirror each other recently. Who else thinks the "Big Two" are creating a duopoly?
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

what the hell os a duoploy?
    TT Original

Quote Originally Posted by Olie
    i'm guessing a monopoly but with 2 parties, not one

A duopoly is two companies that collude to "fix" prices so that both make maximum profits at the consumer's expense. So technically Andy is correct :)

Beefy Guest

i'm not so sure about that.. both companies seem to come up with various different deals to entice customers, especially now that you can take you phone number with you when you change services..

For example, telstra now offer half price SMS between 12pm and 2pm... plus there is all their other things like Freechat which are there to get people to choose them. I don't know much about what Optus does in this regard, but i honestly don't think that they are forming a duopoly as you put it.. they are still competing against each other.. there is just no room for any other companies in the picture...

Well Optus has 'yes' Time and 'yes' Weekend, that are pretty good, but like Telstra's FreeChat, the allowable limit of free calls is getting smaller and smaller. Optus used to allow 3,500 minutes of free calls a month on 'yes' Time, now it's down to 2,000 (I think). Although this is a lot of calls, some people actually do call this much :eek:

I know Telstra is changing on Prepaid - When I joined them (18 months ago) the call charges were 77c/min, no flagfall, billed by the second. Now the call costs are the same, but there is a 20c flagfall every time you make a call, and FreeChat is no more - you can only call other Prepaid Telstra mobiles, not ones on a Plan :cry:

So the "freebies" are disappearing fast - and call charges have increased - so I'm still about the whole issue :hammer:

Beefy Guest

well, let's start another telco and see what we can do.. :)

"TweakPhone, the choice of HaRdKoRe Tweakers"
    TT Original

"TweakPhone, the choice of HaRdKoRe Tweakers"

Sounds good Olie..... when are we gonna create the TT logo for Nokias??? :?:

Beefy Guest

:) what about a TT ringtone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information