Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussie advise required

Ok ppl it looks like I'll now have to buy one of these mobile harrassers but as I'm goin' to be rural based I'll require a CDMA phone and I can find little info on them (maybe lookin' in the wrong places) so do any of my fellow aussies have any experience with these and what would ya's recommend? :?:

Tah.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Why do you say CDMA? My parents have a CDMA phone and I always have reception in remote areas on Optus digital like they do.

I would recommend going with a digital network such a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone. Best value is going on a plan, but pre-paid is better if you don't want any nasty phone bills as you cant spend money you dont have like plans.

I recommend Optus, and any recent Nokia mobile phone.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Just as a follow up, all networks have coverage maps in-store. So, just tell them where you will be using it and they will show you what type of coverage you will get in those areas.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Well actually I checked out the coverage maps for the New England district that I'm goin' to and the CDMA coverage was far more extensive in that area than digital and Optus is who I'll be goin' thru but it's the phone itself that I'm lookin' at and if anyone had any suggestions as to any particular model and/or features plus any user comments on any. ;)

It depends how much you want to spend? You can spend anywhere from $300 to $1500 for a Nokia phone.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Good point (I forgot about that :laugh: ) so say around the $450-$600 mark but as this will be a business phone I could go a bit higher (say maybe $700). :)

Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Wiggo, although I've told you most of what I'm about to post on MSN, I'll put it here for the benefit of all. :)

In the Deepwater area, there are really only two choices - Telstra CDMA or Vodafone GSM. There is coverage from Optus GSM and Telstra GSM in the town, but it is only when outdoors, and when using an external antenna (such as in a car kit).

Both Telstra and Vodafone received federal funding to rollout much of their coverage in your region - makes sense as they would not recover the cost of the tower in a great hurry otherwise.

I would probably suggest CDMA, even though its performance is C-R-A-P in metropolitan areas, in most rural areas it really shines. As you've said the Missus has a Vodafone mobile, see how that goes in the areas you travel to. The reception probably won't be as good, as Telstra have a lot more towers in small towns nearby.

From my interrogation of the ACA's database, your local CDMA tower is on the roof of the Deepwater exchange. The closest Vodafone tower is about 10KM east, you said there were some mountains there or something? :confused:

Anyway, here are the coverage maps for your region:

Telstra GSM: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobilenet/...aps/ne_nsw.gif

Telstra CDMA: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobilenet/...mps/ne_nsw.gif

Vodafone GSM: http://vodaecom.production.atwww.com...aps/NSW_ne.gif

Optus don't have coverage maps per se, but if you go to www2.optus.com.au and enter your address, it will come up with a crosshair over your house (don't worry I haven't passed that info onto the USAF to use against ya) :D

On the phone topic, for a quality CDMA handset you are hard pressed to go past the Nokia 6385. When Telstra bought the initial shipment of handsets into the country, they sold out within some frighteningly short amount of time. Highly recommended :)

Anyway hope this helps some of you peeps out there : peace:

Al.
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Okies just as I thought and Hell$tra is the only one with full coverage here and Emmaville just to the west opened a new CDMA tower at 5pm today which covers that pink area just west of me. But why do phones have to look like Gameboy's now? :confused:

I resized the piccies and decided to link to them here, nothing like an actual pic as I know people like me are too lazy to click a link ;)

First Telstra's GSM coverage in the area:

And then their CDMA coverage:

A fair bit of difference, isn't there? ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information