Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: does samsung memory suck?

This is more a memory question than a motherboard question. Anyhow, i have the a7n8x deluxe motherboard and in it i've installed two sticks of 256mb Samsung pc 3200 running at 400 mhz. I got the memory at a steal (about 44 euro each... 50 something american), but i've been having issues with it on my comp. Seems like its running way below average... maybe i'm reading things wrong but when i compare it on sisoftware sandra it seems to be way below where it should be (even running under the speed of one stick of 256mb of comparable memory). Performance seems to be an issue too. Games take a bit to load up (or crash from time to time), i have problems on certain web pages every now and then, and things seem generally slow. I pushed the fsb freq up a few notches hoping that would speed up the memory, but today while booting up i got a "memory failed cpu test" message (even though i was still able to boot up to windows). Everything points to generic memory, but i figured Samsung was a fairly reliable name and the specs on it dont seem that bad really. Im sure the obvious answer is i should spring for more expensive memory, but figured i'd ask here first. Maybe i'm missing something in the bios settings (perhaps the memory isnt set to dual usage). Anyhow thanks for any advice yall can offer.
    Blessings
    Drift
    Athlon XP 2000+
    Nforce2 A7N8X Deluxe
    512MB Samsung 3200
    Chaintech SE Geforce 4 Ti4200

I have exactly what you have! When I ran BF1942 I was having some weird bluescreen issues, but I dunno. It's kinda strange, just make sure that they are not o/c'd like a biatch. Run memtest86 if you are worried. Other than the BF1942 bluescreens I love the samsung so far (w/ high-qual copper heatsinks on both) I think I might even order a 512 of Samsung PC3200 DDR400. You really can't beat the price, and I read the review of the battle of Geil memory vs. Samsung on this site. That was basically the deciding factor. :thumb:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

It sounds more like ya runnin' ya memory at a speed faster than the FSB and this won't work with the nForce2 chipset as it already has twice the memory bandwidth. Run the memory at the same speed as the FSB then drop the multiplier and step the FSB up to the next level (I just finished an XP1800+ T'bred & 8RDA+ yesterday and it's runnin' 12 x 166MHz atm).

BTW do ya have the memory set to auto or by SPD? :?:

It's set to auto. The Samsung memory isn't ideal for overclocking, and I don't really like to o/c. My CPU I believe is at 13.5 and the FSB is at 133. Perhaps I should up the FSB? I am not an experianced overclocker, not do I seek to be one. I do however care about maximum stabability :). I guess the solution would be to get that 200 FSB?
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Thanks for the advice folks... i think i was reading Sandra wrong for the record (seems it only tests half the memory at a time unless you specify other wise). I've been playing with the SPD and Auto config Wiggo, but recently i've been hearing, as you've mentioned, that you should set it to Auto and on 100% that way it's running at the same speed as the FSB. That seems really unusual to me though cause it runs much slower at that rate than on SPD which is supposed to be the automatically found rate for the memory. I cant really touch the multiplier at this point since this sucker is still locked so thats out for now.
    Out of curiousity, how do memory timings work? Does it help performance to set them more aggresively, and if so how do you figure out where to set them for Samsung and how do you do it in the Bios?
    Xboy, im not really an experienced OC-er either, but i like playing around, and in the process i've been forced to learn so much about computers.
    Athlon XP 2000+
    Nforce2 A7N8X Deluxe
    512MB Samsung 3200
    Chaintech SE Geforce 4 Ti4200

Quote Originally Posted by adrift

Xboy, im not really an experienced OC-er either, but i like playing around, and in the process i've been forced to learn so much about computers.
    Messing around w/ stuff is a way of life!

:afro:

It was last year around this time that I first started to get into computers. I bought a Geforce 2 mx 200 to play HL on :). Since there I have learned a ****LOAD in one year. And some about myself : peace: Lol I remember wondering why my video card wouldn't 'work' lol, you guy's wanna hear this one? Cause I still had the monitors VGA cable plugged into my onboard on my old HP. Lol I know what you are thinking... What a Dumbass! Lol *whew*
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Thread Information