Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bios maybe?

Hi all. New here but not entirely so with computers.

I'm having the occasional blank screen on the ol puter but it doesn't shut down, reboot or give me any error messages. After extensive troubleshooting I found a proggie that would agree with me that something is wrong (almost makes me feel like a hypochondriac going to different doctors until someone decides to agree with me then all is fine). Anyway, I know got the following report (which is actually one worse than last time when I didn't get the second error message :():

00:00:00 Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) - SiS648 CPU to PCI Bridge. : Received Master Abort (Status Register)
    00:01:00 Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) - Virtual PCI to PCI Bridge : Receiver Master Abort (Secondary PCI-PCI Status (SSTS)

So I'm wondering whether anyone knows what this means and what the possible remedy might be? I do have some ideas but I'd rather hope they don't have to be applied. lol

cheers and thanks beforehand:

Thor

Perhaps a melted capacitor? It seems your going to need a new motherboard based on what those messages are saying. They mean one piece of your mainboard can't talk to the other. That is very bad
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Strangely enough it's working fine!?! Using it now and nothing along the lines of blank screens have happened in 2-3 days, even ran a sisoft test and got good results considering my setup. It's an almost brand new msi 6585 mo/bo so how could it be bad unless it was so from the beginning? I've done no real tweaking or overclocking as yet.

Hrm that's strange... Make sure you have the latest drivers for your mobo. It could be some weird-ass glitch.
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I'll leave it well alone for now, it's to late to do anything about it tonight but I believe most things are up to date but maybe a re-install is in order. I'll look into it and be back later.

cheers

I think I've found the problem now and feel like killing someone. I don't remember buying a mobo with hyperthreading neither does the original box nor the mobo mention it having that yet my bios has a version that is connected to a later mobo. That version does support hyperthreading and it specifically states on the homepage not to use it on my mobo. The part? I decided to pay a little extra to have the mobo mounted with cpu/fan and memory and tested since it was only an extra $10. So its either a factory fault which sounds unlikely or they decided to be "nice" and give me the latest bios.

if ur bios is for a mobo that supports ht and urs does not, just flash ur mobo with the correct bios :cheers:

Yeah I know that's the obvious solution but I'm kind of wondering if it might have screwed any other hardware by running with the wrong settings. As long as I don't flash the bios the warranty is good but after that you never know what excuse they'll use not to replace something. Gonna contact the *******s come monday.

thanks for ya answers and if ya have any ideas on it affecting other parts please post.:)

hmm, i dont think it could have affected any other parts, that would really suck. Hope it works out :cheers:

Thread Information