Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A question about ram!

OK, I know that the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe will accept up to a 3500 DDR Ram running at 400 mhz....BUT....what is this RDRAM I am reading about.....it says....800mhz?? What model of motherboard do you need to run that?? That seems like a MONSTER of RAM memory....especially if you had 512 or even 1 gig of it running and a good motherboard and a barton 3000 AMD!! Can anyone explain to me what this RAM is compared to DDR RAM??? I know DDR is double data rate SDRAM where they just squeezed more speed from the same core.....but does this RDRAM have a new core or something???

RDRAM = RAMBUS = RAMBUST = Intel only but soon to be obsolete.

Yep, as far as I know, Intell had a contract with the company (rambust is the name?) for x numbers of years, and they were only allowed to support RDRAM on the chipsets. Ofcourse this sounded good at first, I mean 800MHz ram, why not? But I think there was many un expected problems with it and intell was stuck with it, untill just lately with the new mobos. So yes, RDRAM is just about obsolete as wiggo said.

The fact that it accounts for almost the same amount of sales as the EDO ram, tells you something.

Dyck15

Intel had bought a huge stake of Rambus with the arrogant intention of creating a standard that would force competitors out and leave Intel with profits from all ram sales. They must have forgotten the lessons of MCA and IBM. Rambus was expensive and Intel's control was too. There was a rebellion by manufacturers and end users. DDR became the defacto standard. Intel was never required to use RDram. It was a tool for excessive profits and control. Like MCA, it was really a good idea that was ruined by greed. It will soon be a memory. (Pun intended!)

But in other words, forget about RDRAM and the nightmares will soon go away. ;)

since you got an AMD board, I say fughead about it.
    :thumb:

Thanks for the correction Bigjackusa. I wasnt totally sure about my post there but I knew if I was wrong someone would correct me. I now feel smarter:)

Thanks for the replies and for clearing that up! I was hoping you would be able to use this RDRAM for AMD motherboards....guess not! Well, mabye in time they will come out with a 800 mhz RAM that you can use in AMD boards that will be better than that Intel crap! They already have reached the 500mhz range....another 300 and they will have it!

Thread Information