Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: NForce Hot Fix Q815411 WXP SP2?

I came across this at a good nForce related website. Itís on the issues page. It says that this patch is for nForce based boards experiencing high cpu usage especially with an IDE HDD. I should say that I installed this before actually doing any research. Doh! Fortunately it had no ill effects.

The plus was that it lowered my cpu temp by 5*C. I have a Palomino core 1800+ on a EP-8RDA+ @ 11x155. It was running in the high 30ís idle and mid 40ís under load. AeroFlow TMD and a couple of TT 80mm case fans. BTW

Wondering why I didnít already have it. Since I thought all my patching was up to date. I searched around on MS knowledge base and found the related article. It mentions nothing pertaining to the nForce chip set. Nor does it even state the name of the program that it says is causing the conflict with the ďStack HeapĒ. You may have seen a version of this article titled ďSlow down after installing SP1Ē or some thing like that.

I was curious if any one else had used it with different results? Plus a 5*C temperature drop is worth a mention.

If this belongs in a different forum please relocate.

OK, did any one at least follow the link to Motherboard Faqs? It really is a good site for info on your nForce based boards from Abit and Epox.

No I didn't sorry but then my XP1800+ (12 x 166MHz = 2GHz) on 8RDA+ w/ XP Pro SP1 is w/ a room temp of 23C has a case/system temp of 25C and the CPU under 100% load is at 36C.

The high voltage on the palomino is a draw back. I was reading that you could cut some of the bridges to bring the voltage down. Any one here ever try it? Good idea? Bad idea? I wouldn't try it untill I get my next proc upgrade in my hands. Then maybe.

It would be a bad idea as ya can not only permanently damage the CPU but also create system instability but my XP1800+ T'bred B is runnin' with a core voltage of 1.775v.

Thanks for the advice. It sounded a bit over the top to me. I'm glad I asked here. I'm sure if I had asked there. Everyone would have said sure go ahead but, sense I've been reading these boards. I've come to value your guys opinion.

Cheers

PS: I didn't read that at the site I linked to above.

Well I wouldnít want to steer any one in the wrong direction so, I did a little more testing. Now Iím not sure it makes any difference to my temps at all. My room temps the other day were rather high. In the upper 20ís. I get all the late afternoon sun. I know Iím not completely crazy, but have no reasonable explanation for the significant drop in my cpu temp. Scratches head crawls back under rock.

Thread Information