Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentium to AMD?

If you're using updated drivers for the mainboard, then you would be better off installing the SP1 before the chipset drivers. This is because there are updated USB 2.0 drivers in there, but the USB 2.0 isn't activated until you install SP1, or at least that is what the good folks at nVidia say.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    but the USB 2.0 isn't activated until you install SP1, or at least that is what the good folks at nVidia say.
    It's true.. :devil win

:cheers:

Yes that's right, soz forgot the USB 2.0 prob but as I said both mine have SP1 included on the CD. : peace2:

Well. I should have my 8RDA+, 2500+ and 2 sticks of Corsair 256meg PC3200 in a day or two.

I originally said I was going to reinstall XP from scratch. Now I wonder. My new strategy may be to boot from the XP Pro CD after installing the new hardware and from there go install and finally select "Repair". My thinking is that the repair operation will detect all the new stuff and leave me with nothing more to do than reinstall the SP1a service pack. Everything else should be intact, sort of anyway...???

Any opinions or suggestions on this approach?

John :eek:

Bad idea, do a reformat and install a fresh copy of xp on your new machine. Remember you have changed mobo and chipset so to keep your old os with it's drivers could cause alot of problems..

If you only change your video card, soundcard or cpu or other equipment then there isn't any need to reinstall. But in your case, most definatly..

Well guys, I got me new AMD 2500+ system built and running. Since I had complete current backups of everything I decided to go with the risky approach: I booted (first boot) from the XP Install CD. I did an install/repair and crossed my fingers. Gues what? It worked!!! I booted into the repaired XP and of course could go no where until I called MS to re-activate. Once that was done I applied SP1 and the drivers from the ePox CD. I then deleted all references to Intel anywhere I could find them.

So far, so good. Then I put the ePox CD back in an reinstalled their software just in case I had deleted something I shouldn't have. This time around the ePox CD gave me a new option: To replace the current ATA/IDE stuf with their improved version. Bad move, very bad!!! :flames:

System was barely bootable. Nothing could find anything. System Restore couldn't run due to missing entry points in DLL's. Trashed!!!

So I started over with a clean install. All was fine until I selected yes to install the nVidia ATA drivers. Same thing again... DEAD!

I then reinstalled with the repair option just like the first time but skipped installing the nVidia ATA drivers. All is calm, well, and fast.

I have been using it for almost 2 full days now with no problems. It certainly is faster than the old 933!

QUESTIONS

Do I need those nVidia drivers? Were they just old ones?

I am running the memory speed by SPD, the FSB at 166. It reports 1.84mhz and 2500+. I then set the FSB to 200 and claimed I was running at 2.4 mhz and was now a 3100+. Ran great at this speed. Multiplier is at 11.5. It overheated so I reverted back to 166. At 166 it consistently runs cpu at 52 - 55 and case temp at 29.

I would sure appreciate any ideas how I might tweak it a little, nothing extreme though.

Thanx for all your help!!!

John :cheers:

With those temps I would strongly suggest getting a new hsf :eek: Try the Volcano 7+, it is a very capable all copper hsf and should do a good job for u. Once u lower the cpu temp you could try returning the fsb to 200, u might need to drop the multiplier a little to get it stable :thumb: Have Fun :cheers:

Actually it's very hard to get a revision1 nForce2 to run stable @ 200MHz FSB which is why there's now a revsion 2 of the chipset (eg; A7N8X ver.2 and 8RDA3+).

BTW if ya usin' the retail HSF then throw it away or use it as a paperweight and get a decent full copper one. ;)

Yeah I only suggested the 200 fsb because he said that he had it running at that in a previous post, and was just having problems with the cpu overheating :thumb: :cheers:

I'd definitely recommend a new HSF, your temps seem somewhat high to me.

Check out http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/Epox_nForce2/index.php for good info about this board.

See my posts in the Overlocking forum for details, I've got the FSB at 220, CPU multiplier 10.5. I'm going to try bumping the multiplier to 11 tonight and watch the temps closely for a while if it's stable :).

Welcome to AMD-land, the overclocker's delight :thumb:. What I like most is seeing the price difference between a 2500+ and a 3200+ and knowing how much performance I'm getting for free :laugh:.

-Thomas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information