Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentium to AMD?

Over in another area here I asked for some advice on upgrading a P-III, the Intel thread to be exact. Now then, some folks keep talking about a 2500+ Barton and an Epox 8RDA+ mobo.

Would this be a viable upgrade from a P-III 933? My main concern with AMD is twofold: Reliability, stability and, XP Pro compatibility.

At NewEgg I can get the Epox mobo, the 2500+ Barton and a stick of Corsair 512 PC-3200 for $257. This is close to half the price of an Intel 2.66 with Intel Mobo and the same RAM.

I hate to pay twice the price for Intel, but the reliability and stability issues concern me. Also, is a 2500+ a good performer, and, is the Epox board any good???

Please advise...

Thanx,

John :idea:

The mobo, cpu, and RAM are all very high quality so should have no issues with stability :thumb: Also, you should be able to oc ur proc a good deal if you want, many people have gotten the 2500+ to reach 3200+ speeds with no instability :thumb: I would suggest getting 2x256 mb sticks instead of 1 512 so that u can use the dual channel memory of the nforce2 chipset :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by theyneverknew
    The mobo, cpu, and RAM are all very high quality so should have no issues with stability :thumb: Also, you should be able to oc ur proc a good deal if you want, many people have gotten the 2500+ to reach 3200+ speeds with no instability :thumb: I would suggest getting 2x256 mb sticks instead of 1 512 so that u can use the dual channel memory of the nforce2 chipset :cheers:
    Ditto. All excellent suggestions . Welcome to the world of AMD, where you get the best bang for your buck! :thumb: You will DEFINETLY notice a difference with that new box you are building compared to your older one :)
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I've never had any reliability probs with AMD CPU's (this is a very old song sung by ppl years ago who didn't understand what they were workin' with and usin' sub-standard/unsuitable hardware) but you should with the 8RDA+ get 2 x 256MB sticks of memory so that ya can take full benefit of the dual memory controllers or ya'll be gettin' the performance of a VIA KT400 system. Also if ya want a little more life from the motherboard (upgrade wise) then see if ya can find the just released 8RDA3+ as this uses the updated nForce2 chipset that supports 200MHz FSB CPU's such as the XP3200+ (or turnin' ya XP2500+ into a 200MHz FSB CPU). I prefer to use my 8RDA+ systems over my P4 ones.

Gee..

Thank you all for such quick replies. It sounds like the AMD may just be the way to go. The reason I was skeptical of AMD is that the dude at PC Club said they overheated and burned out and that they were unstable with XP. He said a Pentium will just "clock down" if it overheats and an AMD will just self-destruct. He also said if you're using XP Pro you will regret ever going to AMD - anything! He said MicroSoft hates AMD and makes sure you will regret an AMD decision. You know, I doubt this, I just think maybe his commission is better on an Intel product.

I will take all your advise on the two sticks of RAM.

Since I have used Intel since day one, i.e., back in 1987, please give me more encouragement to go AMD.

I think I am ready from what I've already read, but a little more input would sure be appreciated.

Wow! Thanx so much to you all.

John
    :cheers:

Just don't use the retail HSF on the XP2500+ as these suck something cronic. Get a full copper HSF (I use the Volcano 7+ on my AMD and P4 systems) and combined with good case airflow ya'll have no heat worries (atm my XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz on 8RDA+ with a room temp of 24C runs under 100% CPU load the system is at 25C and the CPU 43C with the fan on medium speed). The latest AMD setups also have thermal protection plus "the dude at PC Club" obviously doesn't know what he's talkin' about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    "the dude at PC Club" obviously doesn't know what he's talkin' about.
    My suggestion is to beat him down with a keyboard, and swing the mouse violantly over your head, whilst screaming at the top of your lungs "AMD pwnz INTEL!"

:laugh: Just a suggestion... ;)
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Now I wouldn't go that far (I do own more Intel systems than AMD ones) but he does need some instruction in AMD's. :D

O.K. Guy's - you've convinced me. I am leaving Intel after all these years and going to give AMD a try. I just ordered:

ePox 8rda+
    Barton 2500+
    2 sticks of Corsair 256m RAM

Done deal! Credit card charge approved. NewEgg.

Now then...

I have everything backed up via file copies and DriveImage 2002.

After I get all the new stuff installed, the stuff above do I:

1) Install XP
    2) Install ePox drivers from included CD
    3) Install SP1
    4) Proceed with other stuff

---or---

1) Install XP
    2) Install SP1
    3) Install ePox drivers from included CD
    4) Proceed with other stuff

---or---

Is another sequence of events preferable. Remember, I am new to AMD anything. Do I need to DL anything? If so what and where in the install process should they go? I can't see why it's any different from Intel, but just want to check with you AMD dudes first.

Wow! No more Intel. Well... here goes... Aiyeeeeee!!!

Thanx for all your help so far. It is really appreciated!

John:wow:

Well my XP Pro's CD's for my 8RDA+'s already have SP1 included on them but I'd go with the 1st option myself plus there are no extra files to d/l except for Windows update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information