Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best motherboard?

yeah.. the dual-channel feature of the nforce2 is the whole reason to get it... memory-intensive professional usage is sort of crippled right now, with the nf2 maxing (effectively) at 1gig ram, and the kt400 dropping your speed with 2xDDR400 chips to DDR333... ofc, it runs faster with low-latency 333 anyway...

so many options, so many confusing quirks
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

I would go with Intel right now. Both Intel-based motherboards and processors are rather cheap right now.

The Intel Canterwood (aka - i875p) chipset is overrated and overpriced. Canterwood's little brother, Sprindale (aka - i865PE) performs equally well or better for a much lower price.

For a motherboard, I would recommend either ABIT IS7 or ASUS P4P800. Both boards are great performers and both are based on the Springdale chipset.

Both of these boards are shown here...

865PE/875P Motherboard Roundup June 2003 - Part 1: 20-way Shootout

Current prices as of June 16th:

ABIT IS7 -- $109
    ASUS P4P800 -- $124

As for a processor...

2.4C GHz -- $179
    2.6C GHz -- $226
    2.8C GHz -- $275
    3.0C GHz -- $406

...take your pick. All of these processors support 800MHz FSB and Hyper-Threading.

Intel vs AMD price comparison:

AMD:

ASUS A7N8X -- $115
    XP 2500+ -- $92
    TOTAL --- $207

Intel:

ABIT IS7 -- $109
    P4 2.4C -- $179
    TOTAL --- $288

Definately go with a p4. get a 2.53 or higher ghz with 800 mhz bus. They rock!!!!!!

Than get the Intel d875pbz board. They are awesome! NOT an ocing board, but defiantely stable with great out-of-the-box performance.

AMD right now is not keeping up with Intel. They are working on their 64-bit Opteron more than their Athlons right now.

If you don't believe me, read Tweak town's review of the 3.2 ghz Intel board. That will tell all.

Anyways good luck with whatever you do. If you do go AMD, get the nForce 2 chipset, not VIA or Apollo.

Chaos:D

Sammy: Abit's IC7-G (Canterwood) and IS7-G (Springdale) are two of the best Pentium 4 motherboards around.
    There's also the Max 3 version with improved cooling, due to be announced in mid July.

i have an nforce board myself. it rocks. but i dont do any programming. only gaming. if you plan on doing "a lot of programming," then you might consider the Asus P4C800 Deluxe. but if you are willing to sacrifice some of the superior compiling features of an intel board for considerably lower price, go with the nforce board. it is very stable and very fast for the cash outlay. i havent had a single bsod or lockup of any type. make sure you go with dual serial ata drives raid drives if your budget allows. the fastest sata drive i have seen is the western digital raptor. although you are limited to 36gb in size as that is so far the only size they are offering. and behind the mobo and proc the most important choice you can make is the video card. i usually just go for what is considered second best when i build a system as the price will have just dropped after the best has been released. do your memory research as well. last i checked the geil memory was the fastest around. make sure the cas rating of the memory is the lowest possible number you can find. (cas is just a rating for the latency of the memory). good luck and have fun building.
    xp2600 -non barton :(
    asus a7n8x
    2x512mb corsair pc3500 cas 2.0
    ati 9700pro

Beefy Guest

I recently put together a PC for editing / gaming, so I might be able to help a little here (if you wanted to take the AMD route)

You'd definitely be looking at one of the new nForce2 400 boards. It depends here what you want in the way of features as to which board you get. I went with the Soltek 75-FRN2-RL board (not officially a 400 board, but close enough at the time). I chose not to use the onboard audio and got myself an Audigy 2 Platinum, so I could have the 5 1/2 drive in the front with all the connections, as well as Firewire input for DV. Some boards come with Firewire built on, but this is what I was after.

Get some good, 400Mhz matched pair ram to make the most of the nForce2 dual channel memory. You honestly don't need more than 1GB... so grab 2 x 512MB sticks and you'll be fine.

Grab a couple Serial ATA HDDs and put them in a RAID 0 config (if you can afford it, go for the Western Digital Raptor drives... VERY fast, good for editing). DVD burner is probably also a good investment.

You'd probably want to look at the ATi based video cards, as they offer better 2D image quality, which is a must for editing. What I personally did was went for an ATi Radeon 9700Pro All in Wonder, which has the TV / video input / output feature, which is very handy. Also does a good job with gaming. ;)

Depending on motherboard and video card, you might not need any PCI slots. Some mobos have 2 network ports built on, and if you got an All in Wonder video card, you wouldn't need that TV tuner card. It's up to you.

EDIT: After all that, I forgot to mention that I honestly haven't had much to do with P4 systems. Hyperthreading would be a big bonus if you were doing editing, but aside from that I wouldn't know what to suggest. A P4 system would have a bit more kick in it, but it'll also cost that little bit more as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information