Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking 512mb RAM in Win98SE

as i stated in a previous post...... the vid card problem is strictly related to winxp.

RIGHT NOW i am running win98se for compatability reasons. the memory deal happened while installing this os. two seperate problems for two oses. right now the card works flawlessly in win98se, i was just wondering if i could hack 98se into accepting more memory.

and i really should have made this two different discussions... but they kind of blended into each other as i abandoned one os for another... sorry about the confusion...

my largest concern is the infinite loops and the drawing errors in winxp. if i can find an absolutely different way to remedy the video issue that no one has thought of, i would... but right now all the OEM's are blaming one another in the emails i get for either poor software support or chipset issues, neither of which are really the issue. the main problem is that the ATI Catalyst drivers are improperly programing the card in windows xp according to windows error reporting.

this means to me that windows xp is having an issue with either a) the drivers for the card, or b) the card itself. but from browsing on the internet i find that this error is common to windows xp accross different platforms with different combos of video cards and mobos. (mouth-full) at this point it seems to more related to the os than it does the hardware or the chipset drivers, whether for the mobo or the video card itself.

i really would like to know if there is someone who has had the same issue and has resolved it, and how they came about it... but for now i will accept troubleshooting the issue, but i don't know where to go from here as i troubleshooted it until i could not think of anything, even from tech support. that even includes turning down system settings for more compatability. (i.e. slowing down memory speed, processor speed, windows video card vga comapatability adjustments, etc.)

:shrug:

i just want my new card to run in xp...i hate the 9x kernel :cry:

Well ya won't get 98 to address more memory as it's physically impossible but have ya loaded its missing files?

missing files..????

Read the link m8 in my last post. :rolleyes2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information