Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking 512mb RAM in Win98SE

long story.......

i just bought a ATI Radeon 9200, unfortunately the drivers are currently incompatible (for my card) with WinXP\2k and i had to reformat my pc to install Win98SE.

i have 512mb pc2100 micron memory installed and i am using full paging to memory. I bought another 256mb of memory to install into my pc, however when i did my computer did not boot. after removing the memory and lookign around i noticed that the memory barrier for Win98 is 512mb.

after looking around on some microsoft knowledge database q&a's i found some things that lead me to believe that there is a work around for the amount of memory that windows is limiting itself to.

i know that with my vid card (128mb) + ram (512mb) i am at the limits of my memory availability.

is there anyone who knows how i can work the problem..???

thanks!!!!

:wow:

I don't think you can get around this problem. Some machines work with 512 or more, others don't. If ya comp works fine with 512 then you should be happy and stick with that.

Btw it should not be any problems at all finding drivers so that you'll be able to run XP or Win2k. I don't know what the latest ones for Ati is called but have patience and you'll get more answers from the Ati users around the forum.

Btw what are your system specs? Mobo/chipset etc..

This is my current system config:

p3 1.4ghz
    ECS mainboard P6S5AT
    512mb pc2100 ddr
    Hightech (ATI) Radeon 9200 128mb
    sb live value
    10/100 nic
    silicon image ata 133 pci raid
    2 wd 40gb hd in raid 0
    creative usb v.90 hardware modem
    usb zip 100 (bootable from mainbaord)
    ms usb internet pro keyboard
    ms usb wireless mouse explorer
    2 usb 4 port hubs
    usb printing service
    2 game controllers
    (i ms sidewinder gamepad - i saitek cyborg 3d gold joystick)
    52x sony cdrom
    16x/40x sony dvd
    52x/24x/52x sony cdrw
    floppy
    enermax 400w psu with heat sensor - self switching

:blah:

I should have stated about my video card.....

brand new card and i get infinite loops and drawing errors... and i'm not even in 3d mode... just on the desktop....

i don;t know how to fix the problem.....

i've tried damn near everything... this is a brand new system, driver updated, bios updates... firmware updates....

no response from ati... i have no idea about this though... any thoughts would be nice...

Did ya happen to OC that card? If ya did, then that means you did it too much. Bring it down a bit.

nope... i just put the card in my system less that 1 week ago... and i have not overclocked it...

You may well have seen all this info, but here are some links that may be pertinent.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3968.html
    #4 might be an option on that page

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3835.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810509

Truth is, Windows 98 is not designed to work with more than 256MB of RAM. Serious flaw in the OS. Many use more, but that depends a good deal on your hardware and tweaking skills.

The more you go beyond the 256MB barrier, the more likely you are going to experience system instabilities.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

thank you - i've been diggin on the internet for answers for the past couple of days and ran accross much of what you posted....

unfortunately... the majority of the problems i am having stem from my video card... i probably should have posted it differently....

the memory was just one thing along the way....

i emailed my mb manufacturer last night and this is the reply i got today from them:

Dear Sir/Madam:

I don't think the problem you have relate to motherboard chipset driver at all, but if you still update chipset driver, you can go to www.sis.com download latest driver .

The ATI9700 are power hunger device, make sure your power supply can support enough power < W> or current <A> . Change different power supply if necessary.
    Make sure you has been fully remove previous VGA driver and device under real DOS MODE first before you install new VGA card

argh... love people that can't read.... and what is he talking about by removing my vga driver from real dos mode..??? i have no clue about that one...

if anyone knows let me know....

What's your vector Victor..??
    :shrug:

How about we back up a step?

Try putting that 256Mb of RAM in your system - after removing the 512.

Does it boot?

If so, does the video card situation improve?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information