Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epox 8RGA+ Overheating (8RDA+ w/on board GFX)

Well, even before I got this mobo I thought the heatsinks on the north and south bridge's looked tiny and ineffective, especially considering they are cooling an on board GF4 MX.

So once I got XP installed, I installed Mohaa, because it was handy, and sure enough, after 4-5 minutes of playing it freezes, and XP kills it. This computer will always use the on board graphics and never play any games, so it is not relevant. However, if I had bought this board to play some sort of game or anything heavy on graphics, I would have been very dissapointed. I'm looking at the southbridge, and its heatsink would be difficult to remove and replace. And even if I did put on a Thermatake chipset cooler, it would be too 'tall' and get in the way of some long PCI cards, and that is assuming I could mount it at all, there is a fair amount of componentry in the area.

It is in an small Antec case with plenty of ventilation. Room temp of 70 degrees F. The heatsinks are just so tiny and they are both passive coolers, they just can't get the job done.

Great board otherwise. This board will just be an email and web machine, and as it turns out doesn't need ANY cards. On board vid, NIC, Sound, USB and firewire, and thats all she'll need.

I just tested it once again, and this time I put an 80mm fan on directly blowing towards both heatsinks, and I was able to play a half hour straight just fine. Removing the temporary fan and putting the case side back on, and 3 minutes later I froze up again.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Apparently MSI's Nforce2 (with VGA) boards have a similarly poor equipped northbridge fan, they've had some board killing issues and apparently have pulled them from sale for the time being
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Well, as you know Zeradul I made a NB cooler for mine.

But this is definately an issue that needs to be resolved by EPoX sometime

With the 8RDA's, alot of people have been buying stuff like the Vantec Iceberq copper cooler and slapping them on the NB, and then usually moving the stock NB 'sink to the southbridge.

I've built two 8RDA+ systems recently, are they known to have problems at stock speeds? Should I persue better NB coolers for not overclocked gaming machines?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

No, it's more that the stock NB cooler is basically a piece of **** for the 8RDA/8RGA boards. They don't seem to be any worse off than any other nF2 board.

I know Wiggo's got an 8RDA+, but since I don't swing by here all the time, I don't know if he's done any cooler swaps on it. I do know that alot of people are, however. From what I can gather, it doesn't make that good of contact and/or, the thermal pad isn't doing a good job of heat transfer. I haven't really seen too many people talk of lapping the stock NB cooler and/or replacing the thermal pad with some AS2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Morgan_Lander[/size]]
    No, it's more that the stock NB cooler is basically a piece of **** for the 8RDA/8RGA boards. They don't seem to be any worse off than any other nF2 board.

I know Wiggo's got an 8RDA+, but since I don't swing by here all the time, I don't know if he's done any cooler swaps on it. I do know that alot of people are, however. From what I can gather, it doesn't make that good of contact and/or, the thermal pad isn't doing a good job of heat transfer. I haven't really seen too many people talk of lapping the stock NB cooler and/or replacing the thermal pad with some AS2/3.
    Will ya pls stop postin' that crap about the northbridge HS on the 8RDA+ as that's all it is, crap, as both mine run cool. It's only those mobo's that use the northbridge intergrated GPU that have probs.

WOOT!... I got my 8rga+ today, and ran 3dmark2001SE 3times looped, and then stopped it because i was too anxious to leave it on a benchmark, And this is with the stock NB cooler still, and it WASNOT really hot, it was a tad warm, but not hot! Other than that, this board kicks ass!!

Okay, good to know I'm wrong about the 8RDA/+. That's what I keep reading from people. I don't know if there was a bad batch or what.

AMD man, were you using the onboard vid card? What res were you running? Man, mine almost burned me. Was the side of your case off?

Oh, and was this with your mods? or without?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information