Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do "dual channel" boards use all three slots??

OK, I read on somebody's post that if you get a dual channel board like the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, you need to use all three memory slots? For example: If I wanted to get this board I would need all three channels filled with the same memory size: such as PC 2700 333mgz (128mb lets say) for each of the slots. Is this correct? Or have I got it all wrong?
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

No, you only have to use two slots for dual channel, but they must be the designated slots, and i belive, that if you use all 3, it goes back to single channel.

But to run in dual channel , you must have two identical sticks (speed, maker, size)

already answered this once today:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...968#post161968
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba

Thanks for clearing that up! Now I know I only need TWO identical sticks of memory! ONE MORE QUESTION: Is there really THAT much difference between the dual channel memory (that is, memory that already comes in two sticks that is supposed to be optomized for performance) and regular memory if you just bought two identical sticks seperately???? The reason I ask is because I can probably get two independant identical sticks of memory cheaper than I can get a set of "dual channel" memory!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

I'm not sure dual channel is all that great unless you really need to protect your Bios from a virus or are afraid you might screw something up with on a flash update (like a power outage or you use the wrong flash update ). Man I've never seen a virus that can destroy a bios anyway, most of them just screw up Windows.
    I might be wrong but I think dual channel memory isn't going to make a difference in performance other than the fact that you will be running twice the RAM in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by segageo64
    I'm not sure dual channel is all that great unless you really need to protect your Bios from a virus or are afraid you might screw something up with on a flash update (like a power outage or you use the wrong flash update ). Man I've never seen a virus that can destroy a bios anyway, most of them just screw up Windows.
    I might be wrong but I think dual channel memory isn't going to make a difference in performance other than the fact that you will be running twice the RAM in your system.
    do you have any idea what dual channel is? It sounds like you are getting dual channel confused with the dual bios on gigabyte mobos. Dual channel also has little to do with how much ram you are using
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

do you have any idea what dual channel is? It sounds like you are getting dual channel confused with the dual bios on gigabyte mobos. Dual channel also has little to do with how much ram you are using

Well I am no expert, but that is what THEY call it! I am just talking abot the RAM packs made by corsair, ultra and a few others that go into a nforce 2 board that uses dual channel memory! Like the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. These usuallly consist of two sticks....either two sticks of 256 for 512 mb of ram or two sticks of 512 for 1 gig of ram.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...al+channel+DDR

You can go to this web address to see what I am talking about!
    Here are my specs:

I might be, I'll have to check into that.
    I do have a board with dual channel (Yes its Gigabyte and I was thinking of Dual Bios information in conjuction with dual channel) and beleive me when its enabled I notice absolutly no difference in speed, but maybe there is more to it than I once thought. :confused: . Maybe I'm not using any software yet that needs more memory bandwith or maybe someone would notice the benifits more if they have a faster processor than my 2.4 ghz CPU. Please enlighten me on the subject.

:mad:
    Ok this is real simple as far as DDR is concerned frist
    things frist DDR runs 1600---3200+ for now
    So get the DDR thats right 4 Ur board As per Asus Spects out on there web site
    As far as the 2 bank v 3 bank fill
    If Im not mastaken U got an on board Gpu vnida 2 eng grifics.
    Now You will need to asign some memory to handle this in the bios Your mem. banks r set 1 then 2Twin banks
    so yes you should get matched pairs Of DDR 3200 512 each
    Totaling 1024Mb of DDR in 2 banks
    got to have over 1 gig of memery on this newer boards to allow the Os to operate freely SEE Overclocking Forms
    OLD! AmD 1.33 266 internal Bus
    384Mb Pc133 Micron cas3
    Asus Kt133Mb- S.B.PCI 512
    G-Force 2 Ti 128MbDDR
    4444$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    System Upgrade on StandBy.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4Parts
    Well hell its 5 yrs Old Bult Bak When

:blah:
    My Bad
    The asus a7n8x
    does not have grifics But yes go with match Memory :blah: