Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mother board refuses to boot...

I have a pc266 ami mother board m810 series board took off floppy and ide cables to reroute and when put back will not boot. Reset bios, recognizes all drives when gets to "windows did not shut down properly please choose start normaly etc, blah, blah,,,,, screen. everything freezes.

help please
    "You can achieve in your life anything that you really set your mind to! That is not to say that things will always be easy, but you can achieve whatever you really desire to attain."

Jeff Gordon, from his fan club Q&A:

One thing i can think of is that in resetting the bios you might have damaged it. However seeing that it is win 98 (yeah) you might be better off formatting your drive and sticking it back on or getting a slightly newer os. but its debatable. Not knowing your cpu and so forth is a bit of a pain. Were u grounded during your work on the pc? if not you may have damaged the pc. Also did u use a magnetic screw driver. Although the chance is small you may have wiped a small section of your hard drive with it. which really sux.
    Wasup punk?

I have winxp pro an k7 cpu ami, and yes I did use a magnetic screw driveer ...damn......I was grounded witha ground strap.
    "You can achieve in your life anything that you really set your mind to! That is not to say that things will always be easy, but you can achieve whatever you really desire to attain."

okay, this may sound stupid, but are you sure your keyboard's plugged in okay?

it might not be freezing, but wating for you to press a key, but without the keyboard pluggd in, then it aint gonna get that key.

worth a check anyway mate.
    The typical kiwi male eats roots and leaves.

Also if you reset the bios then the power management settings might have changed. If the power management type changes (say from ACPI to APM) then XP will not boot unless the setting is the same
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

sounds reasonable happened I had a stuck key once.

Just checked again and reboot let the little countdown to "0" before automaticly making the choice for me,, when at zero just stopps.

Chose start in safe mod. It began, then froze at :system32/drivers/mup.sys

What the heck does that mean ?

"Format"

fragman,

What should it be set at I check it earlier and it was both

What would we do without each other here Hope I can return the favor....... Checked the power managment in bios and decided to do an over all bios set -best by default choice -and everything runs fine now

Thanks for the tip on the magnetic screwdriver ... going online now and buy the right tools for the job
    Thanks again.......

Hmm. I haven't had problems using a mangnetic screwdriver yet. When screws get loose inside, it's a pain in the ass to go after them with something other than a non-magnetic screwdriver.

The ones I have (Stanley) aren't that magnetic. Just enough to keep the screw where you want it. It's not like you've got some electromagnet being used beside the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information